Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking Contacts

Avid Listener

Linking Contacts

I've been USING ACT for many years, but only recently took the long-awaited plunge to upgrade to the SQL-version!  So, I'm pretty new to this version.  I've read lots of great things on this forum (THANKS!!) but I have a few questions that I've not been able to find answers to.

Is there any way to LINK two contacts together? 

First, I should mention that I'm probably not your typical ACT! user--we're not using ACT to sell things (well, we don't use opportunities), but more as a CRM .  We have a tutoring business and we keep all kinds of info about the Tuturs, Students, Schools, and even our Vendors. 

So, here is what I'm trying to accomplish:  I'd like to have a (field?) in the Student's record that shows me (and LINKS me to) their Tutor.  Currently, I have a custom field where I just type the Tutor's name.  But I may make a typo when entering it, or the tutor's name may change (marriage, spelling error, etc) and the Student's record it isn't updated.  Also, there is no 'fast' way to get to the tutor's contact (link).  Similarly, I'd like to be able to see all of the Tutor's assigned STUDENTS from their record.

Perhaps creating a group for each tutor?  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Linking Contacts

I think what you are trying to do is exactly what the addon from Jim durkin does called the associater www.durkingcomputing.com and you will see the details
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Avid Listener

Re: Linking Contacts

Yes, I think you are correct!  I've spoken with Jim and plan on downloading the plug-in to give it a try.

That product will certainly accomplish my desire to link students and tutors!  I think my only problem will be that I can't use the linked contact name in a mail merge from the primary contact.  Now, I can use the User Defined field (Tutor) in a mail merge from the student's record.  I don't think the linked value(s) will be an available field the way Jim is doing the linking.  We'll see!

But this should get MOST of what I'm looking for!