Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linking Buyers & Sellers

Copper Contributor

Linking Buyers & Sellers

I need a brainstorming session!    I need to link Buyers and Sellers together.  For example, a Seller (Company A) will only link to one other record -- the Buyer's record (Company B).  However, the Buyer's record may link to several Sellers' records.  Any ideas out there? 

Thanks! 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Linking Buyers & Sellers

If you are using Company records, you can have more than one contact linked to a Company. Contacts can also be a member of more than one Company, but can actually only be linked to a single company.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greig,

I think this might work -- let me talk this out here. 

Buyer works for ABC Company.  Buyer buys items from 3 companies:  Zebra Mfg., Yellow Horse Iron, and Black Dog Steel.  I could link these 3 companies as Contacts TO ABC Company.  But I could NOT link another contact to Zebra Mfg., Yellow Horse Iron, and Black Dog Steel.  Right? 

Copper Contributor

Grieg,

I tried it, and no that won't work.  When I linked the Seller with the Buyer it changed the Seller's company name to the Buyer's Company Name, and they are two separate entities. 

If you think of anything else, I'll certainly try it! 

Nickel Super Contributor

You need to "associate" rather than "link" the contact (at a different company).

Two ways to do it.

1. On the company record - contacts tab - add/remove contacts - click contacts button ...find the contact in the left pane, and double click on it so that it appears in the right pane, and click OK.  You will see the contact listed, but it will retain its own company name instead of the name of the company you associate it with.
  2. On the contact record click Groups/Companies tab - select show for companies and divisions - click add/remove companies...

Hope this helps.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT