Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lines in Reports

Lines in Reports

Hello,

I am customizing the contact report to meet my needs. I have finished the report but it needs lines to make it easier for my staff to follow across/

I would like to place horizontal and vertical lines in the Detail section of the report to give it an "excel" feel (rows and columns)

The report would look something like this: (of course the vertical lines would not be broken as in my example)

Name  |   Address |   Phone  |    Email

Name  |   Address |   Phone  |    Email

Name  |   Address |   Phone  |    Email

I would also like to place the date the report is printed in the header but all the date fields that I look to select  don't seem to give me today's date.  I see it in the footer on Act's contact report but can't figure out where they get the data.

Any help on these two items would be appreciated.  Especially the lines and columns and instructions on how to do this!

Thanks in advance...

Younglife12

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Lines in Reports

The ACT! reports have a fairly steep learning curve and, with all due respect, you're not off to a good start.

1. I discourage making major changes to the standard ACT! reports. Most include script programming and unless you analyse what scripts are in the report you can cause yourself alot of trouble making major changes to an existing report. I do most of my reports from scratch..

2. You make lines by inserting a rectangle with a black background and what ever height and width you want the line. Another way is to show the outline of the fields and make a grid of the fields.

3.The date you want isn't a database field but a system field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Lines in Reports

Hello Roy,

Sorry you feel that I am not off to a good start.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Of course, I did not make changes to the standart Act contact report.  I made my own "based" on the Act standard contact report. It was pretty simple since I have been making reports in Act for 15 years.  I've never made anything complicated in the reports that I designed but most of them have been pretty easy to customize for my needs. 

I realize that the reports are much more powerful, written in a different way and interact with the data fields differently than the former versions of act but my attempt to customize this report was extremely successful with the exception of the horizontal and vertical lines.  The data pulls through just fine and I could use it as it stands.

I did play around with the rectangle since there was one in the original contact report but it seemed time consuming so I was hoping there was another way.

I will try the outline of the grid fields and welcome any other suggestions from users that may have the same situation.

Best Regards

Younglife12