Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Limitation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in terms of number of ACT! Premium users

Accepted Solution Solved
Nickel Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Limitation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in terms of number of ACT! Premium users

Currently I have a database ACT! 2013 Premium

I have currently 25 users

But I'll have 15 more users.

I must do something with the version of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express?

I need to upgrade to the Standard version??

What is the limitation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in terms of number of users?

Thanks for the help

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jotero
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Limitation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in terms of number of ACT! Premium users

SQL Server Express can only use 1 GB of memory and 1 CPU. As Roy said, this could cause performance issues with that many users. There is no user limit (well there actually is, but it's around 32,000 or so). I would see how your performance is, and if there is a noticeable impact, then look at upgrading to Standard.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Limitation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in terms of number of ACT! Premium users

I don't believe there's a limit on the number of users. There is a limit on the database size. The big issue with that many users is performace. The SQL Express  is limited on how much memory it will use and it will only use one processor regardless of what the server has available. I would definitely upgrade to SCL Standard.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author jotero
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

SQL Server Express can only use 1 GB of memory and 1 CPU. As Roy said, this could cause performance issues with that many users. There is no user limit (well there actually is, but it's around 32,000 or so). I would see how your performance is, and if there is a noticeable impact, then look at upgrading to Standard.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Super Contributor

Yup, there are only three limitations that SQL Server 2008 R2 Express has, 1CPU, 1GB of RAM for the instance, 10GB file size. Going to SQL STD removes those limits. There is no user limit.