Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout size question

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Layout size question

Is there a size limit to the Layout.cly files? 

One of our users seems to get lost in layout designs and every time the .cly files goes over 2,200 KB it no longer becomes editable in the Layout Designer.  The layout designer opens but completely blank, I've tried to open it on a different computer with the same results.

The layout works fine when selected from the dropdown on the main act screen but edit is a no go.  Any ideas how to fix this? 

Oh to make things worse... No backup.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richee
‎01-08-2018 06:40 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Layout size question

I managed to find a workaround.

I wanted to compare the broken layout with a working layout so, I opened them both using Notepad ++ to do a side by side comparison.  Nothing obvious was standing out so, I decided to clear out any blank lines hoping this would reduce the file size. 

When this layout was selected in Act, I received "Error loading the layout" message (kind of expected this). 

After opening the layout designer it threw an error telling me the layout file was not valid. 

Within the layout designer I tried to open the original layout which worked!

In summary..

The layout that was opening blank within the designer will now open fine as long as a broken layout is selected in Act first.

This changes the workflow a little but at least the layout can now be edited.

Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

To my knowledge there aren't any specific layout file size limitations. My guess is that it;s a complex layout and that it has exceeded the capacity of the layout editor. The layout is an XML file that's compiled at runtime. Of necessity the layout editor must work between the compiled version and the XML source code at the same time which would be a load on resources.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Are there any graphics in the design? if so try removing them as it maybe a graphic that the editor cannot manage.

Copper Contributor

I'll attempt to explain this in more detail.

The layout was working fine until, I made a simple label edit.  After the edit every single field was missing from it.  As you can see from the screenshot below all labels remained but the fields vanished.

missing.jpg

I opened the layout designer and started re-adding the fields.  There are literally thousands of fields to add so this was going to take some time.  About 2 hours later, I had to close the layout designer.  When, I tried to open it again there was nothing but a blank screen.  Screenshot below..

blank.jpg

Any ideas?

All default layouts are working fine

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

What happens if you close act! when this problem happens, then go back into that same layout? Does it work then?

How much memory does your pc have and how much video ram does it have?

I don't think you have lost anything yet, but take a manual db backup now.

Oh and yes, I have an idea of how to resolve.

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Download Free BullZip PDF Printer and Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Bronze Elite Contributor

I have had similar issues in the past and often found it is a permissions problems but also if the template is corrupted saving does not work.

The simple way forward is to create a new template with a new name or rename by saving as one of the Basic templates with a new name. Make some small changes and save, then check to see its worked.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Richee
‎01-08-2018 06:40 AM
Copper Contributor

I managed to find a workaround.

I wanted to compare the broken layout with a working layout so, I opened them both using Notepad ++ to do a side by side comparison.  Nothing obvious was standing out so, I decided to clear out any blank lines hoping this would reduce the file size. 

When this layout was selected in Act, I received "Error loading the layout" message (kind of expected this). 

After opening the layout designer it threw an error telling me the layout file was not valid. 

Within the layout designer I tried to open the original layout which worked!

In summary..

The layout that was opening blank within the designer will now open fine as long as a broken layout is selected in Act first.

This changes the workflow a little but at least the layout can now be edited.

Thanks