Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout files being duplicated on every sync.

Layout files being duplicated on every sync.

I'm having great difficulty with layout files.  The issue started suddenly, without any changes to the publishing database, after months of successful synchronization.

Issue description; when my users sync, the layout files are being duplicated & renamed with the date added to the end of the file name.  For example: "Basic Contact Layout - 800x600 2010-11-02 09-22-36.cly" or "Basic Group Layout - 1024x768 2010-11-02 09-22-36.gly"

These files are created in the local users Layouts folder AND in the publishing database's Layouts folder.  So as each user syncs, new files are created and they also pickup the other users' renamed layout files. So you can see how it can get out of hand very quickly, with layout folders filling up with all these files.  On top of that, when users open ACT after a sync, they receive the "Error loading layout", preventing them from being able to use their database until the original layout files are copied into their layout folder. 

I have tried everything short of cutting new databases, as that really is not a practical solution. My users are scattered across the country, traveling constantly and some cover areas that have such poor connectivity, it is difficult or impossible to remote into their laptops.

Help!  Thank you, Carrie

Re: Layout files being duplicated on every sync.

Can some one please help on this issue??  I appreciate it!  Carrie

Carrie, did you get any answers on this? I'm having exactly the same problem - also duplicating on every sync for a lot of remote users. Also on two of our user's computers, the layouts have disappeared completely and now they cannot view contacts.

Could someone help please?

Platinum Super Contributor

The dates appended to the end of the layout names indicates that the layouts were updated - the appended information being a way for Act!/SQL to track the changes. 

This method is no longer used in the current version of Act! 2011 and date/time stamps are not added when layouts are updated.  But to help resolve your issue, through a Windows Explorer window you can create a copy of the layout file and rename it to the original name (without the date/time stamps) > then delete the layouts with the updated names.  You would then need to copy the new layout file to each remote and remove the 'long name' files.  This should remedy the situation until changes are made to the layouts, which would then add the date/time stamps again.

Greg Martin
Sage