Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout doesn't open in Designer

Copper Contributor

Layout doesn't open in Designer

[ Edited ]

Act! Premium Version 19.2.146.0, Update 2

I've had this issue before and I cannot for the solution again.

I can open some smaller layouts but my main layout will not open in the layout designer

My layout has to many elements to open and  the solution I used before was to adjust a parameter in either the registry or in a file. ( Cannot remember exactly which.)

These layouts are over 2,200 KB.

I just had got a new a bit ago and this is the first time trying to edit the layout. The previous fix had lasted even with upgrading to 19.2.

Can anyone tell me the location and parameter?

Thanks for the help.

Administrator

Re: Layout doesn't open in Designer

Could this be the issue you're referring to?

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38187
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately no.

I pulled my old PC from the "to be recycled" pile for the time being as it is the only one that can open the larger layouts.

I specifically remember this issue from years ago from back in v17 when our layout grew to be to large.

Attached is the how the layout appears when loaded and the message I get when I exit the layout designer.

Administrator

Are you able to open other layouts in the designer successfully?

I can't find any documentation in our knowledge-base/resources that mention a parameter that can be changed to allow larger formats unfortunately.
Copper Contributor

I make a new layouts on a yearly basis and sometimes I make a change to a layout during a year. I save every layout change as a new layout.

I can open all the stock layouts and every layout up to 2014 on any PC running ACT on the office.

I can only open layouts from 2015- current in the layout designer on the PC I made this change on. The 2015 layouts have a larger file size.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Do you get any error message? This may just be a permission problem for the new layouts but I also do remember a size issue a long time ago.

Can I suggest that to start with  you go to the folder the layouts are stored in - Right Click - Select Properties - Edit - Add - Type Everyone - Click OK - tick Full control and Modify.

Restart ACT and see if that makes a difference.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Here is a link to a previous posting on this issue you might find useful

https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Layout-size-question/td-p/345692

Copper Contributor

I don't get an error message. The file opens blank. If I were to save it, it would be a blank file.

Adding everyone to file permissions doesn't work.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I know this might not seem to make sense but use save as with a new name and then try opening the saved layout. The link 2 up does talk about a blank layout so I hope that might help as well.