Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Synchronisation?

Copper Contributor

Layout Synchronisation?

I'm not sure I've gotten my head around this yet?

I created a custom layout and placed it in 'dbname-database files/Layouts' and this appears to get renamed after a sync. To 'layoutname date time.cly' now everytime someone else opens their RDB/PAD the layout has obviously changed and they get an error.

I've reapplied read-only status to the Layout folder this evening and am yet to find out if this has helped, but has anyone else come across this?

Copper Contributor

Re: Layout Synchronisation?

Anyone shed any light?

Based on the information provided, your issue appears to be associated with a previously reported issue. The issue will be fixed in a future update.  We do have a temporary solution, but it will require you to call ACT! support. 
Copper Contributor

Has anything moved on with this topic?

I'm on ACT 2008 premium with a bunch of users who synchronize their remote databases.  We've created and named our preferred layout, of the form "XXX Contact layout". Over the last year or so, the number of layouts has mysteriously increased, with names of the type "XXX Contact Layout 2009-03-25 13:05:00".

More recently, we've been using Penpower's Wordcard Scan Manager to scan business card data into ACT.  As this adds a tab for the card image, this created new layouts of the type "XXX Contact Layout 2009-03-25 13:05:00 - Worldcard 2010-06-22 15:32:00".  Even worse, possibly because one of the users has re-installed Worldcard (not sure about this), we are now seeing layouts with names such as "XXX Contact Layout 2009-03-25 13:05:00 - Worldcard 2010-06-22 15:32:00 - Worldcard 2010-09-01" appearing.

Help!!  What can I do to (a) permanently get rid of the unwanted layouts and (b) stop the problem re-occuring?

Bronze Contributor

I have seen this in earlier versions and the only one comment is that as you have made it read only this may be part of the problem ...

I would go to the master database and copy the layout you want to use to another folder and delete all except for the standard layouts in the layout folder.

Go back into ACT and open the modified layout from where you placed it and do a save as back into the layout folder.

Now open each of the standard layouts and do a save as on each one.

Now on each remote close ACT and go to the layout folder and delete all except the default layouts. Open ACT and synchronise and I have seen this tehn resolve the custom layout to the remotes.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.