Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Error - Contacts Unreadable

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Layout Error - Contacts Unreadable

I created backups of both the database file and the personal files, uninstalled ACT! Premium, and then reinstalled the program. (I was cleaning up multiple SQL installations on a server by removing everything and just reloading what was needed.) I was able to import the backups and access them per the usual on the admin account but after I shared the database and placed the .pad files on other users desktops I started getting errors. When I open the database as X user, and then click the contact tab, I get numerous errors that I must click through.

Example: 

Once the errors are gone the contact is blank. There are still the correct number of contacts. Just none of them can be seen.

Would much appreciate some guidance. 

(OS is Windows Server 2012)

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author amc@epe
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Layout Error - Contacts Unreadable

It is saying it cannot create a new layout file, it will do this if it thinks one does not exist. Check the folder the layout files are in, is it read wrtie and try adding everybody under security permissions. Of course also check that all the layput files are in the layout folder.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Error:

An error occurred while trying to write a default layout to the supplemental file system.

File\\Server\Database-database files\Layouts\contactlayout.cly
Copper Super Contributor

Do the original layouts exist in the layout folder??? If not copy them to the layout folder from the demo database folder.

Phillip R. Horn
ACTive Certified Consultants of Virginia, LLC
888-975-3111
www.accofva.com

Sorry, I should have mentioned, the layouts were customized on the old database. I was able to fix 1 user buy copying the database files into his specific user folder but I'm nervous that A) the database will actually be two separate instances and/or B) that seems like a weird way to fix it! creating new database folders in each separate user just doesn't seem right. Now granted I am talking folders/files in windows explorer here, not anything in the SQL itself, but what might be the problem with fixing it that way? Am I actually fixing the issue?
Solution
Accepted by topic author amc@epe
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

It is saying it cannot create a new layout file, it will do this if it thinks one does not exist. Check the folder the layout files are in, is it read wrtie and try adding everybody under security permissions. Of course also check that all the layput files are in the layout folder.

It was file permissions, both users were admin so I didn't even think to check. Thank you very much!