Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Designer - blank help!

Layout Designer - blank help!

We are still having an issue with our layout designer.  We have a multiple user ACT (about 12 users) that is stored on our server.  I have tried copying the layout and still get a blank screen when the design layout pops up.  I have rebooted 100x, tried opening other layouts to modify those and I still get a blank screen (see below). We need to fix several areas and am getting frustrated that we can modify any layouts.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ACT-contact layout.JPG

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Layout Designer - blank help!

Can you provide some additional information about your issue:
- What version of ACT!
- What is operating system

- Are you trying to edit the layout while signed onto the computer that hosts the database?
- Have you tried editing the layout from a different computer?

- Test opening the Demo database (or create a new database) and attempt to edit the layout within it. Successful or same issue?
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks fory our quick reply..

We're running ACT! Premium 2011, Windows 7 Professional

I've tried editing the layout from multiple computers (all get the same error or a big "DING" and the layout won't even open)

I tried going onto our server directly to do it (computer that houses the program) and am able to see the layout designer .. however as soon as I try to make a change it freezes. 

I just tried creating a new database and the layout designer works.  Our database is so huge that creating a new one and uploading the fields isn't an option (at least I hope that's not the only option)

Why wouldn't we be able to make changes from any computer (we've always been able to in the past), and how do I get it so it won't keep freezing up on us?

I expect the issue is specific to the layout, not the database itself. To verify this:

With your production database, do you still have the default layouts listed? (Basic Contact Layout*)

If you have the Basic layout, switch to that layout and then go to Edit Layouts > to see if you can edit the basic layout. If you can edit the basic layout, the issue is specific to your customized layout.

Note: If you have deleted the Basic layouts from your database, you can copy them from the new database you created into the Layouts folder for your production database.
Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

I would also go to the server and check the share properties.

I've seen this error when the database get's moved from one location on the server to another, and then reshared.

If the sharing was not properly stopped at the original location, network users can fine themselves getting redirected.

A simple test would be to do a "Save Copy As", and save the full database under a new name and then share it.

Once that is complete, try editing the database from one of the network stations and see if you can reproduce the error.

Hope this helps.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

I did a "save as" and copied the database. I'm able to edit the layout (from a network computer) in the saved copy.  Since you think it's a "share" issue, is there a way to fix the original database?

I'm trying to edit the layout on the host computer and after adding 2 fields and clicking over to another tab to edit I keep getting this error and have to shut down ACT:screenshotacterror.JPG

This isn't a 'share' issue.  Since you can edit the layout successfully in a new database, the issue is layout specific. 

The image/error is indicative of a computer resource issue; meaning that the layout is graphics intensive (a lot of fields, images, or other).  Here are two articles that may help:

Increase GDI Handles

Reduce Hardware Acceleration (only use the steps for Hardware Acceleration)

If the articles do not help resolve the issue, the layout itself may be damaged.  If you have a backup file, restore it using 'Restore As' and then copy the restored layout from the restored database into the original database and test.

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

Just a guess here, but did you copy and paste fields from one layout to another?

Perhaps from the company layout to the contact layout?

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca