Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Layout Designer-Terrible performance

Tuned Listener

Layout Designer-Terrible performance

We are in the process of migrating a bunch of our different Act 6 databases over to a single Act 11 (premium) instance. Our original databases have usually between 100 and 300 custom fields. We have already started the process and have been bit by the issue where we can't map fields into our import (know issue, which I understand 11.1 is supposed to address).

My present issue is that when I go into Layout Designer it behaves glacially slow. Selecting single text boxes takes 5-15 seconds. And deselecting objects can take 5 seconds. When I have to manipulate and align 50 objects into rows and columns this adds up to significant amount of time. Items lag significantly when I try to drag them around; if I use the arrow key to nudge objects there's a qtr-to-half second delay between each incremental nudge. However, when I use the various Format options (Align, etc.) they work snappily--its just manipulating the individual objects on the layout which is the problem.

I'm remoting into ACT server throuh Terminal Services and the machine is decent (4GB RAM) and RAID 5 drive array--its our Act 11 server. The machine is not being hammered with any other apps (it is a file server--but low volume).

Any ideas/suggestions on why this is happening and what I can do to move things along--its very frustrating.

-mark

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Layout Designer-Terrible performance

Does the same thing happen if you go to edit one of the default ACT! layouts (ie, Basic Contact Layout 1024x768)?  Or if you work directly on the terminal server instead of remoting in?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I am experiencing similar performance issues using ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1 Layout Designer with a newley designed database that has 100-200 custom fields.  I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Latitude 2.13 GHz Pentium processor.  Navigating from one field to another can take 10 seconds or more.  Does anyone know of a utility that can check the integrity of the .CLY layout file or optimize its performance to speed up the screen design process?
Tuned Listener

I just created a new database in Premium v11.

I am using the standard Company Layout and modifying it. I am also experiencing signficant performance issues - whether it is opening or closing it. It is not happening all of the time - but enough times so it becomes a real time waster as I sit there waiting for it to close.

I fear doing anything else on the laptop.

Your problem is likely a function of the size of the layout file. Check to see how large the cly file is compared to a default layout. As to integrity of the file, I don't see that as an issue. The layouts are coded in XML and virtually any problem with integrity would result in the layout failing to display though it might open in the designer. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

The layout file is 536K in size compared to 71K for the basic file layout.  My laptop has ample memory, it appears that ACT is just shewing up all the CPU trying to process the layout file.  Can anything be done to speed up this process?  I am spending an inordinate amount of time waiting for the Layout Designer to respoond.

You've not indicated the amount of RAM on your system or the hard drive speed. If you haven't already, max out the swap file on your system. With ACT! closed, you can also try restarting the ACT! instance of the SQL server. An alternate would be to restart your computer prior to using the layout designer. There is a file handle leak in the Microsoft .NET 2 framework that could be depleting system resources.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

how would you be able to determine the file handle leak issue? I was having similar issues why creating the new database for 2011 from scratch. Even the Quad core server would grind to a halt.
Mike Shannon, theforeclosureguy