Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Large DB files be are too large

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Large DB files be are too large

Hello!

I am experiencing the same problem. I am on my server now trying to figure out the issue described below.  Can you please answer these questions:

1)  What folders and or files will be included in a client RD file?

2)  In a full backup?

3) Will all of the subfolders in each of the folders you named be part of the file?

I am in the process of moving to an upgraded server at the same time upgrading from ACT Premium 2009 v11 to 2014 Pro v16.  My RDB file and the attachments folders total 800 MB and add in the others like the templates at 30MB, if it all totals 900MB.   My backup file and a full remote DB file ends up being over 7 GB.  That is my major issue at this point – transferring these large RD files down to the clients and from the old server to the new.  My old server keeps crashing before I can complete building a RD. And if it does complete, moving that file from my server to my google drive, it crashes the server at about 30% completion.  Right now, I am attempting to transfer a very limited RD (employees only) for Heather from the old server to the new. That RD is 5.5 GB and has only 20 contacts.  I tried via upload to google drive.  30% done and the server crashes. Also tried a remote desktop transfer from the old server to the new. Same result.  I am going to post this on the board as well as a new question.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Large DB files be are too large

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

I just got off the phone with tech support. They confirmed that my problem is that

1)  The backups on the server and on the remotes are being saved in a folder inside of my database folder. Every file and every folder in the DB folder gets backed up and I assume, is also part of the RD when I create them.  Solution:  Move them out or delete them into another directory outside of the DB folder. And, for future scheduled backups, direct them to a folder of the same.

2) My attachment folder is 20GB!  I don't know why I thought it was only 400MB. I thought I checked that out yesterday and saw that it was only 400MB.  Solution: Do my best to try to find the large attached files and delete or move them to another folder. I'm going to do some experimenting with this. I might move some based on size and others based on creation date.  Questions:

I believe the largest files are going to be Outlook files. For instance, the first attachment I opened up was the largest at 99MB!  It was a file with photos that I sent to a client from a party that he had. I must have tried sending the photos without first reducing them down to web size like I normally do. I'm sure my email server rejected it. But, ACT logged it as being sent and so now it is in my attachments. 

Q1:  If I delete it from the folder, will that cause any problem with ACT?  For instance, will it be looking for it because of a SQL table is thinking it is there? 

Q2:  When my remote syncs, will it re-attach it?  Do I need to delete it from the remote DB as well in the same manner? 

Q3:  In the 2009 v11, ACT would attach all outlook files if the recipient's eMail address was a primary email field. The problem is that we send customer service a lot of documents and visa versa. But, we don't need those tracked in ACT.  The work around would be to have the employee email addresses as non-email address fields (use a character field instead).  I never did that because I didn't want to change all of the templates. Does ACT 2014 Pro v16 have a better solution for that?  Like excluding email history to employees from employees?

Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Copper Elite Contributor

My attachements are almos all eMails from Outlook and Adobe PDF files.  Adobe Pro can reduce the size of several documents all at the same time. If I did that from inside the attachments folder on the server, it will change the size and the modified date. Will they still be attached to the appropriate contacts as long as I don't change the name? 

Same question. But, would if I did it outside of the Attachments folder and then put them back in the Attachments folder when done?

Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just posted this as a separate post dealing with the same issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated should you know the answers.

Please refer to the link below for more detail of why I need to know.

I've learned a ton over the last 5 days and nights with 4 hours of sleep each night. LOL  Refer to the link below if you need or want more info.  I will be adding more to it with the tests that I have run to figure out the best solution. Goal:  Move my current DB to a new server and rid myself of the large file attachment issues at the same time.

Q:  I need someone who knows the backend (SQL).  How does it work with the attachments folder?

a) If I choose to do a backup without attachments, restore that backup, then simply move the attachments folder over to the newly restored databse folder, does ACT maintain the links?  Does it still associate the docs with the proper contact?  If so, how?  How is that possible?  This is very important because I just did a backup without attachments. it took minutes. When I do it with attachments, it takes several hours. And then, it is difficult to get the backup across a data line.

b) ACT/SQL clearly cannot rely 100% on the file name and path to track the attachments. If it does, then it must add characters to the file name in order to tie it to a different contact a file is attached that has the exact same name as an existing attachment that might belong to another contact. We all know you can't have two file names the same in the same folder.

c) If I re-index, does that remove the links/"tie backs" to those files" if I had deleted the documents out of the attached folders?  Or, does SQL/ACT keep those links in the tables so that if the exact same file shows up, it will be reattached to that contact?  I need to know because I followed the ACT support instructions by removing the large files. Since then, I have learned how easy it is to downsize the PDF files all at once while keeping them in the same attachments directory. I regret moving them out and deleting them. But, I have yet to reindex. So, I'm hoping I can put them back, reduce their size, and move on dot com! 

Hopefully someone can help me understand the relationship design of ACT and attachments.  Your help would be much appreciated! 

The other posting with the exact same above, should you care to respond there too is  at:  http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/How-does-ACT-SQL-work-with-the-attachments-folder-Fixing-lar...