Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

LAN Setup

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

LAN Setup

We have Act premium 10 installed on our server.We all connect to it currently from the web connection. How do I go about connecting our internal computers to the server database. I have the software already installed on all computers. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author awajuknod
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: LAN Setup

From ACT! - File | Open... whereever you put the PAD file.

the PAD is just a Pointer to ACT! Database... it tells ACT! where the server is and where the database is on the server

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Create a windows share on the folder where the Act database files are located and name the share something clever like Act.

From a client PC where Act has already been installed, navigate to \\<servernamehere>\Act and open the .pad file of the Act database you want to access.

No need to create a share. Just copy the PAD files to the workstations and have the local ACT! open their local PAD.

Also see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1387...

Tuned Listener

Again: I'm not an it guy so, sorry for the questions that may seem like common sense.

Question1: I have copied the pad file off of the server database called Mainpcs, I have installed act on my workstation C Drive. How does my workstation connect to the server? Do I have to sync?

Should I copy the pad file to the database folder on my workstation?

When I make a change in my act how does it link to the server?

Will the documents I put into my workstation show on everyones?

Solution
Accepted by topic author awajuknod
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

From ACT! - File | Open... whereever you put the PAD file.

the PAD is just a Pointer to ACT! Database... it tells ACT! where the server is and where the database is on the server

Tuned Listener

Thanks for making it simple? The word "pointer" made it connect in my head?
Tuned Listener

Went to open pad in my worksation and it said: Cannot find database supplemenntal folder Main-PCS database in this location RAS1. This could be a problem with share or the folder may not exist. I gave share on the server to the whole act folder and the pad file. Should I have done that before i copied the pad file or am I about to spend $300 on my it guy Smiley Happy

on the server start up act and make sure the database is loaded.

navigate tools... database maintenance.. share database.

that should do it, it will make a share on the server for the supplemental folder and should now work on the workstations.

hope that works for you. Smiley Happy

Tuned Listener

I checked share on the server

I have act installed on the server, I installed act on my workstation, i copied the pad file to a removable media disk, i saved the pad on my workstation in the database folder, i went to file and clicked on open database and selected that one and nothing. I cannot figure it out!

Thank You!

Hello awajuknod,

Please the information in KB 19876 for possible solutions to this issue.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.