Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Just got burned a 2nd time by ACT attempting to upgrade

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Just got burned a 2nd time by ACT attempting to upgrade

Last year, they cooked up the scheme to force upgrades from older version of ACT by claiming that the Protexis licensing server was no longer functional (yeah, right!).  Now I just got burned again when I attempted to upgrade the computer hosting the publisher database.  After completing the complete uninstall of a fully-licensed ACT V16.3 (and SQL Server 2008 R2), I installed ACT v21.1, expecting to have a 30-day trial to allow me to upgrade the databases and install the same ACT upgrades to the remote computers, but instead was greeted with "30-day trial expired"!  I had tested this successfully on a test publisher and test remote computer without any issued, but on the computer that matters (the production machine), this *&^% happens!

Initially, tech support suggested that I remove the ProgramData\ACT folder, but that failed to fix the problem.  After that, the tech said that since at one time (and they are probably right about this), I had a trial version that had expired.  Several years ago when v16 came out, I had installed a trial that had expired while trying to solve numerous issues with it.  I ended up purchasing several licenses so I had no way of knowing that several years later, I would NEVER BE ALLOWED AN ACT TRIAL ON THIS COMPUTER EVER AGAIN!

Now I'm forced to scramble to purchase licenses, with no way to reverse course.  Now no one can run ACT since the publisher database can't be accessed and the remotes still have the old version of ACT.

This is a TERRIBLE WAY TO DO BUSINESS and I feel I compelled to warn other users of their treachery.  I wouldn't be surprised if the forum censor/moderator will delete this post, even though it's completely factual.