Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Just a few questions about SAGE Act for web.

Just a few questions about SAGE Act for web.

First off i have setup sage ACT on a network here at work. My first question is does everything computer on the network using ACT have to ACT installed on their computer with a remote database file? Or is there an easier way? i just want everyone here at the office to be able to make changes as needed. So if i have to do it this way then thats fine. Second what is the address i use to access my database online? Can you edit stuff in the online mode? Last question was i have Mozy pro backing up everynight on the server. I know the main database has to be open in order to sync with it. Will the database get backed up or will we need to shut it down everynight?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Just a few questions about SAGE Act for web

[ Edited ]

Hello chaissonjm,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. To answer your questions:

My first question is does everything computer on the network using ACT have to ACT installed on their computer with a remote database file? Or is there an easier way?I just want everyone here at the office to be able to make changes as needed. So if I have to do it this way then that's fine. 

If a user needs to access the database directory from the server or they have a remote database they need to sync to the main database, then they must have the same version of ACT! installed on their machine as is installed on the server. If a user is only accessing the web database, they do not need ACT! installed.

Second what is the address I use to access my database online?

The default address is "http://[server's external IP address]/APFW". This can be different if you use a different virtual directory or use a website other than the IIS default website.

Can you edit stuff in the online mode?

Data can be added, edited, and deleted from the web client. If you have ACT! for Web 2012 (with SP2) or ACT! 2013, you will also have mobile access to the database. The web client does not have all the functionality of the installed version. This Knowledgebase articles lists the feature differences:

http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2949...

Last question was I have Mozy pro backing up every night on the server. I know the main database has to be open in order to sync with it. Will the database get backed up or will we need to shut it down every night?

First, with ACT! for Web, the database does not have to open to sync if you install the Network Sync Service that comes with the Premium product. As for Mozy, it cannot directly back up the database files as they are attached to the SQL Server - the SQL Server service would have to be stopped in order for Mozy to back them up.. The best way to do this is to schedule automatic backups using the ACT! Scheduler (under the Tools menu) and have Mozy copy the backup (.zip) file.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.