Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

It is possible to have the system time as a default field value?

Tuned Listener

It is possible to have the system time as a default field value?

I have a situation where I need to capture the record creation time and display it on the contact record screen. ACT! captures the record creation date, but not the time. I have created a field called "create time" and have an add-on populate the system time in it when a new contact is created, but that field can be edited. When I make it read-only, the add-on won't work. I also have a history record created when that field changes, but of course, that can be edited also. I need something that can't be changed by the user.

Can the system time be a default value for the field? Any suggestions?

I'm running Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

Silver Contributor

Re: It is possible to have the system time as a default field value?

It is not possible to create such a field, however, there is a create date system field that is not editable.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

Thanks, I thought so. I'm aware of the system create date, but I need the time. I guess I'll have to post this on the share your ideas board.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The Create Date field does include the time. I can't find any way to reveal the time component in the layout but it can be revealed in an ACT! report. In fact the default is to show the time in the ACT! report.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Instead of making the field read only, just create a new security group to put all the users in and disable access for that security group to the field - assuming you are using "Limited Access" records.