Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issues with duplicates when re-importing data

Issues with duplicates when re-importing data

We use ACT Premium 2011.  I am trying to do some data clean up, so hoping to export records, fix data in one field, then re-import to merge the changed data into the existing records.    

I've been doing tests, but when I import a contact file from either excel or a .txt file, it does not recognize that it is a a duplicate, and either creates a duplicate record or doesn't merge (depending on which import choice I've selected.

The imported records have identical values in "contact", "email", and "company" to what is currently in the database - I am just making changes in one custom field, and only re-importing a few fields, which are mapping automatically in the import wizard.

Anyone know why ACT doesn't understand that these are duplicate records?  Is there some other key ID field I need to include? 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Issues with duplicates when re-importing data

A few suggestions and tips -

Change matching for duplicates Contact, Company, Postcode.

Make sure that Duplicate Checking is turned on under Preferences - Admin - Duplicate checking

If this does not work then the recommended way now for data extraction - change - and then reimporting is to use the ACT UID field.

To do this you need to add a field and call it something like Contact UID 

Go to this site and run the free GUID add-on. Instructions are also here on installing and running add-on

http://www.freeactaddons.com/free-addons/guid2field

This will copy the hidden UID to your new field.

Include the field in your export.

Set this as the single match field for re-import.

Re: Issues with duplicates when re-importing data

Thanks for the suggestions.  This is all messier than I had hoped, will manage a different way.