Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issues with Icons in Documents Tab

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Issues with Icons in Documents Tab

Recently I had a problem show up for the second time in Act v17 where, whenever I clicked on the documents tab under a contact, Act would crash and require a restart. The first time this happened I had paid for Tech Support and they helped me fix the problem, but the second time I googled it and found a couple of hotfixes that claimed to repair it. Well, it worked, but not without deleting the far left column that used to show an icon for the file type IE: .pdf, Word, etc. 

Since that time I can't find any resources in how to get that back. Has anyone ever experienced this or have any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author silverhound2014
‎02-01-2016 04:59 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Issues with Icons in Documents Tab

I understand why this s was done as a quick fix as the problem of not seeing icons is not as bad as ACT crashing when using the documents tab but I hope the design team now have the missing icons as a defect to be resolved as it is a very useful function.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi Silverhound,

Do you have the latest available hotfixes and updates installed for Act v17? What version of Windows are you using?

You can download Updates and Hotfixes here: http://www.act.com/resources/downloads

Sorry for the delay. I'm running Windows 8.1 and yes, have the latest updates. I actually went to the Act Download Center and made sure. The way this started out was that every time I clicked on the Documents Tab, Act would crash and I would have to restart it. This problem happened to me one time before and I had learned it had to do with the .NET framework update or something. Anyway, this time when the same issue happened I had gone to the Act download center and downloaded the latest Hotfix. I corrected the problem, meaning that I could now use the documents tab and open any file, but over in the far left of the documents tab screen the column that used to give  you a quick view of the type of file IE Word, Excel, PDF, etc, had now disappeared. So now I get the name of the file, and can open it, but I can't tell at a glance of the left column what type of file it is by its associated icon.

Cheers

Administrator

The original issue was linked to how these icons were displaying, and there were reports that the icons were occasionally showing the incorrect file type. They have now been removed from the software.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

Just to let you know 

Tested on Premium V17.2.217.0 and No Icons (2 machines.)

Tested on Premium 17.0.151.0 Has icons

Not got V17.1 but my guess is the Documents fix in SP2 lost the Icons.

Administrator

That's correct chip.

Thanks for the replies people. So if I understand this correctly, the icons have been taken out of the latest Hotfix update? If this is the case obviously I'll have to live with it, but I don't see this as an improvement. When all your document files are listed text only, it just adds an unnecessary level of archaism.

Solution
Accepted by topic author silverhound2014
‎02-01-2016 04:59 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

I understand why this s was done as a quick fix as the problem of not seeing icons is not as bad as ACT crashing when using the documents tab but I hope the design team now have the missing icons as a defect to be resolved as it is a very useful function.

Administrator

I would suggest that the request to show file type icons be added as a suggestion in the Share Your Ideas board. This way, we can prioritise development based on demand for bringing this feature back using the kudos on the idea as an indicator.