Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issues with Activities - high memory usage

Copper Contributor

Issues with Activities - high memory usage

[ Edited ]

We have a customer who has been using Act! for a long time, They have upgraded a number of times but they seem to always be having the same issues.  Most of the issues are around activities and high memory use, customer has a large number of activities.

They are currently using Act! 18.2 (APFW) but they are having the issues from the desktop version.  They have 3 users and are in a Citrix environment .  We sent the database to database repairs before the upgrade to see if there were any issues with the database before upgrading.  Did not find any issues.

They are on Windows Server 2008R2 Standard with 12GB of memory and a Xeon processor.  they are using SQL Standard 2014.  Not using any customisation or addons

I have run all the DB repairs from Actdiag did not make a difference.

Something I did notice is when an activity is created, they will add notes to the Details of the activity, sometimes copying the content from an email which might have an image.  While they are progressing with the customer they will move the activity to the next meeting and add more notes.  they do this so they can easily review all of the notes related with this activity,  Could this be causing large memory use issues?  they have around 9000+ activities in total.

Issues

reschedule an activity and see the following error ( added some information into the details of the activity  and move the date of the activity to the next meeting date and press OK, will see the following error and Act!.exe is using a large amount of memory.

2016-09-12_14h15_59.png

Click to look at the calendar and has no entries.  Pressing F5 to refresh does not bring back the activities.  Have to close Act! and reopen for the activities to display again.

2016-09-12_13h57_41.png

Thanks
Damon

Administrator

Re: Issues with Activities - high memory usage

Hi Damon,

Could you let us what your database size is according to ActDiag?

I would suggest only pasting text into Activity, History or Note Details. Images should be attached to the record though the Attachment section to ensure that the images aren't saved into the SQL database and are correctly stored in the database files attachments folder.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary

Database size from ActDiag is 1.5GB (1531.75MB).  Having image files in the database will this cause high memory usage in the Act!.exe?  Is there a quick to clear images that are existing in the database?

As the customer was navigating around activities I was watching the Act!.exe memory usage and it increased very quickly.  another use was already really high.

2016-09-13_11h02_58.png

Thanks

Damon

Administrator

Hi Damon,

Could you please try creating a full copy of the database, then using the Remove Old Data tool, remove old cleared activities, and then test performance?
Here's a Knowledgebase article on how to use the Remove Old Data tool: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14168
Copper Contributor

Hi Gary

I have taken a backup copy of their Act! and restored for testing (without attachments).  I removed old data.

2016-09-15_13h58_15.png

Which removed 8733 cleared activities.  I noted that before I removed the cleared activities memory usage is about 900MB of memory.  After removing the old cleared activities memory usage was about 630MB,  When you use this method of removing cleared activities are the attachments untouched?

Thanks

Damon

Administrator

Hi Damon,

Yes, the Remove Old Data tool will also delete any attachments on the activities it is removing.

It's worth noting that any activities that have been cleared, will usually have a history entry for the clearing of the activity. Any attachments on that activity would also be copied on to the history entry that is created.