05-11-2011 07:39 AM
Remote database user has been using a custom report for 2 years without issues. The report has the filters set to "Current Contact" on the General tab, no notes on the Note tab and "History" and "Today" on the History tab.
Now, when he uses this report the filters appear with the defaults.
I copied the report from the server to the local pc, ran the report and the report shows with the default filters. Not what we want.
I ran the report from the server and the report and the report shows with the default filters. Again, not what we want.
If I run the report from a LAN user's pc the report runs with the custom filter settings.
Any ideas as to why this happens?
05-11-2011 08:15 AM
They are different copies of the report. The filter settings are part of the report XML code so they can't be different for different users if they launch the same report template therefore they aren't using the same report template.
05-11-2011 08:55 AM
Thanks for the response.
I am not sure how to interpret your response that "They are different copies of the report". Can you explain?
The report in question came over to the Remote Database when I created it 2 years ago. The report template worked fine up until a month ago.
The report template and filter settings work as expected if the report is run from a pc on the LAN. Also, I copied this report to my pc and the report works as expected with the custom filter settings.
However, the report runs with default filter settings when run from the Remote Database Reports folder or if run from the Reports folder on the ACT! server, when the pc is connected to the LAN.
Does this provide any helpful information?
05-11-2011 09:07 AM
No. You would need to carefully trace the location of each of the templates that you tried to run. My point is that the filter settings, default of custom, are part of the template XML code and the same copy of the template run from different locations would have to use the same custom filter settings.
05-11-2011 09:18 AM
I agree! However, this is not what is being experienced; at least on this one RDB workstation. As I mentioned, the report template works as expected when copied to my pc. So, I would have to say that what is being experienced on the RDB workstation is weird to say the least.
Thanks for your input.
05-11-2011 09:34 AM
When I was in tech support I one time had an IT person swear that all the users were opening the same database even though wha they were experiencing could only happen if they were using different copies of the database. I finally got him to check the paths to the databases being opened and, guess what, they were opening different databases.
That's why I say check the paths because they are running different copies of the report template.