Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issue with Normal template. Have to rest every day !!

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Issue with Normal template. Have to rest every day !!

Running ACT 17 on Windows 10.and Office 2013. Having an annoying problem in the last couple of weeks. Every morning when I fire up ACT and try to open a document template it fails with a window showing something  like"no document available". I have to reset the Normal template and then it will be OK for the rest of the day. Loadbehaviour looks OK in the registry Set at 3. Any ideas ?? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MalcB
‎07-24-2017 02:43 AM

Re: Issue with Normal template. Have to rest every day !!

[ Edited ]

Depending on which service pack you install Act v17 will change the version of SQL.

V17.0 came with SQL 2008 R2.

V17.1 and up come with SQL 2014.

The best way to check which SQL server the ACT7 Instance is using is from Actdiag, Just use the windows search tool, agree to the terms and it will display on the front page.

Version 19 is compatible SQL 2008 R2 and should not encounter any issue's, however if you would like to upgrade SQL it will need to be removed prior to upgrade.

installing V19 will detect the older version and will prompt you to agree to remove the older version before proceeding.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi MalcB,

If resetting the normal.dot is resolving the issue I would recommend running repairs on Office as they maybe causing damage to the template.

This file itself is used to hold the default settings for the Word template. A a test to see if the template maybe damaged before Act integrates you can open Word and select a blank template, when closing Word it will prompt you to save the Normal.dot template.

while i do not believe it is directly related, I would also like to point out that V17 is not compatible with Win 10 and while SP 2 made it better (.net 4.6 compatibility) it may still cause unexpected issues.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I will check "Normal" at the end of the day. I'll leave it alone at the moment while it's working.

Yes I was made aware ...after I had bought ACT 17, nearly 2 years ago, that it wasn't compatible with Windows 10. Have had many issues most of which

we resolved.......more or less. What are our options to improve reliability and stability of ACT with Windows 10 ?

While an upgrade to v18 / v19 would ensure full compatibility with the latest versions of Windows and Office.

I would make sure that you are on the latest build of v17 which is service pack 2 update 3.

Copper Contributor

Thanks. Just looking at upgrading to ACT v19 while offers are being made. However, I'm being told 2 different stories

a) ACT 17 plus SQL 2008 must be removed before installing ACT v19. This upgrading to SQL2014

b) ACT 19 will install over ACT 17 and will run OK with SQL2008 R2

Edit Having just looked  in Control Panel I seem to have both SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2014 (64 Bit) already installed.

Solution
Accepted by topic author MalcB
‎07-24-2017 02:43 AM

[ Edited ]

Depending on which service pack you install Act v17 will change the version of SQL.

V17.0 came with SQL 2008 R2.

V17.1 and up come with SQL 2014.

The best way to check which SQL server the ACT7 Instance is using is from Actdiag, Just use the windows search tool, agree to the terms and it will display on the front page.

Version 19 is compatible SQL 2008 R2 and should not encounter any issue's, however if you would like to upgrade SQL it will need to be removed prior to upgrade.

installing V19 will detect the older version and will prompt you to agree to remove the older version before proceeding.

Copper Contributor

Thank you. Most helpful.