Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Issue With Notes Exporting To New Database

Issue With Notes Exporting To New Database

Looking for some assistance. I am in the process of doing an export of around 3500 customers with 40k opportunities over to a duplicate (empty) database. This is to keep all of our current clients separate from those that have been closed/archived and to improve performance (current database is now huge and there is regulatory requirements to keep all of the data). I am able to export all of the users, contacts and companies without any issue, however, when moving the opportunities it seems to want to bring all of the notes instead of only the associated ones for the lookup in question. Have only been testing this on a small group. The opportunities themselves come over OK, just with all notes.Have a missed a step here or is there something else i need to be doing? I have followed all of the steps on the knowledge base articles, but nothing mentions this. All assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Issue With Notes Exporting To New Database

I assume this is a multi user database. If so there are a couple of steps that are easy to overlook. First export all the user my record to the archive database. Then make each of them a user in the new database. Then when you export the contact records make sure you check to include al user data.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Silver Super Contributor

If I remember correctly the notes table is common to both contacts and opportunities so you will get all the notes associated to the linked contact/s.

You're correct, all notes are in a single table. However each note's connection to a contact, opportunity, etc., is in a separate table that connects the unique ID of the contact, opportunity, etc., to the unique ID of the actual note and to the unique ID of the record manager (user). This is why it's important to export the user My records so that the user unique ID is preserved.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert

Roy, thanks very much for your response. It definitely seems that getting the user across correctly is at the crux of this issue. Can you please advise on exactly what steps I should be taking to bring across all the users and make them ready on the new database? Please note that a proportion of these users are now ex-employees and are now inactive. All assistance is greatly appreciated

Graeme Rankin

McGinness Associates

graeme@mcginnessassociates.com

First create the archive database using File | Save As empty database. Then export a lookup of all the user My records (include both active and inactive users). In the new database create user accounts with Tools | Manage Users. Be sure to select the correct My record for each user and make them active or inactive as appropriate. You should be ready to export the contact records you want to archive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Silver Super Contributor

Just to add to Roy's reply -

To easily find all users go to Lookup - Other Fields - Is User.

It will find any records that are Active or Inactive users.