Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is there a way to cc someone on a mail merge?

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
[Edit: copied subject into body]
Message Edited by ghollister on 10-30-2009 10:14 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is there a way to cc someone on a mail merge?

Unfortunately, there is not since with a mail merge to multiple contacts, the emails go directly to the outbox without the opportunity to view the actual messages.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I would think adding fuinctionality to specify cc and bcc to the mail merge dialog should be pretty easy given the signficant value it would have to users.  I am surprised that ACT does not do this

If you would like to see the functionality added to the program in an update or future release, please post the request to the Share Your Ideas board in this Community.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

When you post the idea, think about how you want it to be handled... do you want to CC:

• An additional Email field - so each contact would have it's own CC
  • The same contact for each email - if so would you add the history of each email to that contact?
  • Another Contact or Secondary Contact (like their spouse or PA) - how would this be selected for each contact?

CC to contacts in a merge can mean different things... you wouldn't want them to spend the effort and not include the scenario you're looking for.

The more info in a request, the easier it is for Product Managers to understand and review
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike - I will try to do that.  I have to say that as a new act user the one thing that is the most surprising about ACT to me is the lack of some very obvious functionality that I am surprised it not in the product given its extremely long life and user base, I find it hard to believe that some of this stuff has not made it into the application at this point.

I know you are a frequent contributor and appear to be a consultant that makes a living off of act, and I am not saying I do not like the product per se, it is just a bit frustrating though to understand for example how there is no ability to cc someone in an email - regardless of how I specifically would like it to happen, the fact is you can only send it "To" someone - it would have seemed like over the last N years that act has had email merge functionality, someone at act, would have thought, gee, it might be very helpful to give users the ability to utilize cc and bcc on email functionality.

With that said, I will do my best to place my suggestions in the appropriate area.

bretts wrote:

Thanks Mike - I will try to do that.  I have to say that as a new act user the one thing that is the most surprising about ACT to me is the lack of some very obvious functionality that I am surprised it not in the product given its extremely long life and user base, I find it hard to believe that some of this stuff has not made it into the application at this point.

As I posted before... there's any simple way of CC in a mail merge.... it depends on which scenario you mean.

GL Computing actually wrote an email merge product for ACT! 5/6 that actually could CC additional email address fields in a record

I know you are a frequent contributor and appear to be a consultant that makes a living off of act, and I am not saying I do not like the product

I am not a consultant

per se, it is just a bit frustrating though to understand for example how there is no ability to cc someone in an email - regardless of how I specifically would like it to happen, the fact is you can only send it "To" someone - it would have seemed like over the last N years that act has had email merge functionality, someone at act, would have thought, gee, it might be very helpful to give users the ability to utilize cc and bcc on email functionality.

You can... just not on a merge.

With that said, I will do my best to place my suggestions in the appropriate area.