Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to move a remote database to a new laptop or do I have to create a new RD?

Copper Elite Contributor

Is it possible to move a remote database to a new laptop or do I have to create a new RD?

I am having an error while syncing. It is happening only on two identical laptops. Two different locations. Two different remote databases. After several hours of trouble shooting, I'm thinking it is a problem with the laptops. So, I am going to buy two new laptops. Question: Can I move the current remote database to the new laptop then sync?  Or, will I have to create a new RD from the server? I'm trying not to do the latter becuase a) the RD file is over 5GB. Takes over 15 hours to transfer the file from the remote server and b) I'd have to export and import data that did not sync.

FYI - Here is the link to the post I created with the problem I am trying to resolve. RE: Cyclic Redundancy Check error. I have not gotten any feedback on this.

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Premium/Cyclic-redundancy-check-error-during-sync/m-p/178289#M2...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is it possible to move a remote database to a new laptop or do I have to create a new RD?

[ Edited ]

Hello tbudde,
Before buying new laptops, i would create a new remote database and put it on the existing laptops to test. You can opt not to include supplemental files when creating the remotes, which should significantly reduce the size. A CRC error usually indicates bad data or a bad hard drive.

However, if you do decide to the move the remote database to another machine, here is the KB article with instructions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to move a remote database to a new laptop or do I have to create a new RD?

Todd,

Here are instructions for moving a remote and retaining synchronization: KB Article 19817

However; at this point, I would believe the remotes are damaged and will not sync even if moved to a new computer.  It is more likely to require creating new remotes.  Before purchasing a new laptop, try moving one of the remotes to the server and syncing.  If it is successful, move the other remote to the server and attempt to sync.  If successful, I would still create new remotes due to the possibility of corruption within the original remote databases.

Note: You will only be able to sync a remote on the server to the publisher on the same server if Network Sync is installed and setup.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

If I don't include the supplimentals in the RD, will the supplimentals sync when I perform my first sync?

Copper Elite Contributor

Greg,

I am going to attempt moving the RD to my computer (which is syncing fine) and attempt a sync. I am just suspicious that it might be the laptops or software problems on those laptops. It seems too coinsidental that they both starting giving the CRC error at the same time while our other two computers are syncing without a problem. Thanks for your help and I will let you know the results.

Copper Elite Contributor

Solution found! Did a chkdsk on the server. It found errors and fixed them. All clients syncing fine now.

Platinum Super Contributor

Very glad to hear! And happy to know it didn't require new laptops.

Thanks for the update!
Greg Martin
Sage