Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to daisy chain remote dbs?

Is it possible to daisy chain remote dbs?

We have a highly secured firewall and VPN policy at our place of work and cannot remote sync. Remotes users can only sync up when they are back in the office within the firewall. Obviously this poses a problem. However I had this idea, please let me know if this is possible.....

I configure myself and laptop as a remote ACT! user.

I work mostly from the office so continually sync with the server during the day.

After work I go home and connect to my home internet outside of the firewall.

Remote users then connect to the ACT! db on my laptop to sync in the evenings?

Not ideal I know but a fairly simple way to bypass the ridiculous policy we have - so could this work? 

Nickel Contributor

Re: Is it possible to daisy chain remote dbs?

I'm a little confused by your question, in that if a VPN connection is required to access the network remotely, then all users are essentially "within the firewall", and should be able to synch with the synch server's private network IP, much like the do within the office.

Kq

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Don't even ask - our group policy is on lock down and there are no remote tunnels to our network at this time. It's totally ridiculous but will be resolved in the next few months apparently. But I need to work out another way to sync in the meantime.
Nickel Contributor

I feel your pain, but as long as the synch server is within your office, it will be difficult to get around this problem.

Typically a VPN set is the solution, but it seems your IT team has circumvented that solution, as well.

In short, force them to allow synching through a VPN connection, which is extremely secure, or fire the IT team. This may not seem helpful, but them locking down the synch port through a VPN reveals more about their ignorance than their security intentions.

I've owned an IT company for 15 years, I'm an ACC, and I can honestly say their lockdown efforts (as you've described them) are actually hampering your responsible business intentions.

The only other solution will be to host the database outside the office at a co-location company, so that synching can be done internally and externally. Few firewalls stop outbound traffic the way they lockdown inbound.

Kq\ 

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Hi Carl,

What your suggesting won't be possible. You're not going to be able to have a 'daisy chain' or remotes. The reason for this is because you cant make the one on your laptop a master database (accepting incoming sync) and a remote (requesting sync). You're gonna struggle to get this sorted without control over some of the security features of your network. I Do have a suggestion however.

Consider this, but my apologies if I'm not understanding your issue.

You could set up standard sychronisation across the internet by using the port forwarding function on your office router?

The idea would be the remote users databases would be looking for the office routers address, which in turn would pass the sync request to the correct machine on the network.

1. firstly find out both the required IP addresses (of the server machine and the router)

2. create remote databases from the server machine, but during the wizard specify the routers ip address instead of the servers name.

3. restore the databases on the client machines. (at this point if you were to press Synchronise Now the remote would be looking for the router)

4. set up port forwarding on the router for port 65100 (default) to the server machine.

I hope this hasn't confused things. Kind regards,

Alex