Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to add strike-through text formatting to Activity Types?

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to add strike-through text formatting to Activity Types?

Hi,

The organisation I work for uses ACT version 18 on a Windows platform.

My colleagues have asked me if it’s possible to add strike-though text formatting to the Activity Types that we no longer use, but which we do not wish to remove from the database (since legacy data is associated with these Activity Types, even though they are no longer used).

It doesn’t look like it is possible to do this, but perhaps somebody out there knows otherwise?

I’ve included below the dialog box for editing Activity Types.

Thanks.

Grant.

activity-types-strikethrough.jpg

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to add strike-through text formatting to Activity Types?

[ Edited ]

Hi Grant,

I don't think you can put a Strikethrough on the Activity Types names.

However, what I have shown my clients is that they can rename the Activity Types with an 'x' in front of the name and also for all the results too.

For example - Activity Type 'Bookings' changed to 'xBookings' and the results similarly too.

This will then put these Activity Types at the end of the list and also let users know that they are no longer currently used.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I didn't think it was possible to add any formatting to Activity Types.

But that's a good idea about putting an 'x' in front of the Activity Types that are no longer being used - I'll put that suggestion to my colleague and see what they say.

Best regards,
Grant.

Administrator

Hi Grant,

I'm just trying to understand your desired outcome a little better.

If it was possible to strikethrough the Activity Type, would you expect the entire activity to appear with a strikethrough?
Where would you expect to see this (i.e. Task List, contact Activities Tab etc.)?

You can show all tasks which have been cleared with a strikethrough in the Task List by selecting Show Cleared from the filter bar Options menu.

It is technically possible for the Activity name and the History Result to be shown with strikethrough, however since you've already made the Activity Type Inactive, the Activity name will not appear as an option in any new Activity dialogs, and existing Activities simply show the icon instead of the text name. The History Result strikethrough would only be shown on cleared Activities in the History tabs.
If you wish to do this, you can use a strikethrough text generator to create your Activity name or Result Name, then copy and paste the text into the Edit Activity Type window. I can't say this is a recommended practice, but possible nevertheless.

Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

I think what my colleagues meant is that the strike-though would appear in the Schedule Activity dialog box in the Calendar - see the image below.

act-strikethrough.jpg

Yes, I know what you mean by 'cleared tasks', which have a strike-though.

It's just that a lot of activity types have been created over the years, and some of them are no longer relevant. But we do not wish to delete these activity types, as relevant legacy data will be connected to these redundant activity types (i.e. for reports and our records, etc).

But I just checked the activity types that have been marked as inactive, and, as you say, they do not appear in the Schedule Activity dialog box.

Okay, so the question is, where do the inactive activity types still appear, to annoy my colleagues? Again, as you say, it seems the types that made been made inactive do not appear as an option in any new Activity dialogs.

I need to check back with my colleagues to find out what is irking them about lapsed activity types!

Grant.

Copper Contributor

Hi again, Gary,

Have been gathering more info from my colleagues.

Yes, it seems that making the redundant 'activity types' inactive is what we probably wish to do here.

But if we were to do that, will that affect the data that was previously attached (and still is attached) to these redundant 'activity types' say, 2 years ago, when they were active?

That is, would it affect legacy data?

We can't afford to lose any data on database records/contacts which previously used these now redundant 'activity types' from previous years.

So we're just wondering if there are any repercussions regarding the data when making an 'activity type' inactive?

Hope that makes sense!

Grant.

Administrator

Hi Grant,

Yes this makes perfect sense. In your scenario, I would suggest simply making the legacy Activity types inactive.
This has no effect on any existing Activities with this type. The option purely prevents new Activities of this type being created, by removing it from the list of Activity types when scheduling a new Activity.
Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

Thank you.

You've explained it perfectly.

Our only worry had been 'What then happens to the connected legacy data?', but you've reassured us.

Okay, I'll go and make these redundant activity types inactive now.

Thank for the advice!

Best regards,
Grant.

Copper Contributor

Is it just a case of unticking the 'Active' check box, Gary?

activity-type-unticking.jpg

Or is there something more I need to do?

I only ask because I just unchecked one, but it seems to have vanished completely from the Manage Activity Types dialog box!

I thought that it would still display there, but it would say 'inactive' instead of 'active'?

Administrator

Yes, just untick the 'Active' box, and click OK. This should take you back to the Manage Activity Types list.
The Activity Type should show as Inactive in the list as is shown in your first screenshot. Are you no longer seeing the same items in the list that you were when you took the screenshot?