Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is Act going to fix this heinous error message

Copper Contributor

Is Act going to fix this heinous error message

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would like to definitively get a response from whomever is appropriate - be it the CEO of Sage, about what if anything ACT is going to do to resolve the issue of receiving this error message when I start outlook.  It is clearly because of some bad code or lack of error handling.  Act's only response so far has been the completely uninstall and reinstall Office and Act - that is a JOKE.  Not to mention that I did it once and ended up getting this error shortly there after.

Since I can't paste an image of the error message I will describe it - I am sure previous posts have addressed this error as well.  The dialog box has the title:  Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, REtry, Debug, Ignore=Continue

The body of the dialog says:

PopulateAddressStruct:

Then is lists about 50 lines that all start with "at"

Honestly, that a major software program like ACT which is targeted at such a mass audience is allowed to "Exist" as a status quo with this massive error message generating every time I open outlook is really unacceptable.

Again, removal and reinstall of office and act as a solution is a non-starter.  The ACT code needs to be fixed.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Is Act going to fix this heinous error message

I've not seen an Assertion Failed error in ACT! ... and the only reference to it on this forum seems to be related to on specific patch of the the UK version only.

Most likely it's some bad code in Outlook rather than ACT! or a conflict with something else you have installed.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to be sure what the problem is without the full details of the error.

Copper Super Contributor

Not to put that any help is no help, but when i see responses like "Most likely it's some bad code in Outlook rather than ACT" followed by "it's not really possible to be sure what the problem is without the full details of the error" then your just contradicting yourself.

to make things even easier if it was an Outlook code problem then doing a google search for "PopulateAddressStruct" would produce more than 6 results, and more so results to the Microsoft forums about the problem.. yet all 6 results all are to do with ACT!.. a lot more users use Outlook than users that use ACT! & Outlook

So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that this problem most likely is nothing to do with Outlooks code, but more so with Sage code in integrating with Outlook.. and then maybe narrow it down to the way that address information for UK addresses might not fit into what ACT! has coded when creating the address structure.. not every countries postcode field formats to the USA way

Not sure how it's a contradiction. The full error would allow me to have an idea of what you need to do to fix it.

I'm in Australia and don't use US post-codes either
Copper Super Contributor

its a contradiction in that one sentence you say the problem IS this, then in the next you say that you dont know what the problem is..

I too am in Oz, yet i dont enter in nor have my region settings on the computer set to UK..

Actually, I said what the problem is "likely" to be ... but I don't like to just point the finger. Without the error details, it's not possible to be sure what the fix might be.

All my regional settings are set to AU ... are you saying you have a separate issue with addresses?
Copper Super Contributor

Mike.. i have not once noted that I am having any problem with this error.. my point was in reference to someone posting 'its the hot fix' 'its outlooks code' 'rather (cant be) than ACT'.. your post is totally contradictory, going from ACT to Outlook to Not ACT to maybe some other app, to not having a clue because you dont have the whole error message.. even though you dont have the whole error msg you still concluded that the problem was with a hotfix, then outlook, then not ACT (pointing the finger all over the place)

My other point was that developers do not find all the problems that might occur for users with different region settings.. so just because you and I, or the Sage USA team dont see any problems, it seems that UK users are. And the OP seems to want Sage to inform users as to what it is they are doing/done about the problem

Copper Contributor

As Ozie said, when you search for this error, you find hits that all have to do with Act.  It is definitely an ACT problem not an Outlook problem.  I am looking forward to Sage/Act's response to let me know how they plan to fix their product.

Platinum Super Contributor

Can you provide some additional information about your issue:

- What version of Act! are you running - from Help > About Act!?

- What operating system is on your workstation?

- What version of Office are you running?

- Attach a screen shot (jpg) of the error msg...

You mention that you previously uninstalled/reinstalled Office and ACT! and then received the message shortly thereafter.  That indicates that after reinstalling you did not receive the message and the assumption is that the integration was working.   Is that correct?  If that is correct, then it appears something is introducing a corruption into either the ACT! or Outlook programs at some point after the installation.

There is an 'Assertion Failed' issue resolved by the application of ACT! 2010 SP1 Hotfix4.  Review this article and see if it applies to your situation:  KB Article 27159

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

How do I attach a file to the reply?