Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Internet sync set up

Astute Commentator

Internet sync set up

Just upgrading to ACT Premium 2011 but also switching our set up to sync remote sites with internet sync services. I think I have all the system set up and the IIs also set up. My questions are regarding the IP area which I am really "green" on as to how to set up. I am using a cable modem and do have a static IP address.

I have three computers in a home office connected via workgroup. One Windows XP PRO is the file server for the database which is the publisher. The second desktop is conected to the database on the file server. The third is a Windows 7 Ultimate using a remote database and syncing via the workgroup.

I have two remote sites that I would like to connect via internet (cable modem and D-Link router). I have built a remote database but I can not connect with server. I have port 65100 open and exception made in my firewall. I think the issue is the internet sync set up.

First question what is the right IP address? the one before my router a 24. xxxx number or the one I get if I am on the computer and use a run command for IPCONFIG /? a 192.XXXX

Then when setting this up in my sync panel what is the correct entry as I have seen a couple of different answers. Should it be http:// (my IP number) and that is all or is there more after the IP number?

Silver Contributor

Re: Internet sync set up

First of all, there are internal Ip addresses (those only accessable from within your network) and external (those available from thte outside).  Your router decides what traffic from the outside gets in and where it goes.  THe ip address (192) you listed is an internal ip address and will only work in the inside.  The outside ipaddress is ported to a particular inside ip address by your router.. ASSUMING you have done this, on the host computer, go to whatismyip.com  this will reveal the outside ip address that shows up from the outside for your computer.

To further test, create a basic .html page inside of (xxx.xx.xxx.xxx)/ActInternetSync where xxx, etc is your external ipaddress.  Can your browser to this page from the outside?, if not it is most likely that your router is not set up.  You can test Internet sync from the instide by uising the internal address you mentioned earlier, but this will fail from the outside if the router won't allow the traffic.

Here is a line describing this in more technical terms. (HERE)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Astute Commentator

Re: Internet sync set up

Thank you for the information and quick reply - I will try this wih my remote office on Monday and let you know!