Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Internet settings for ACT 4 web

Copper Contributor

Internet settings for ACT 4 web

Does anyone know of a place where the Internet Explorer settings are specified for optimal performance? Server running Windows 2003 Server with nothing else running, 7500 rpm disk drives, 4gb of RAM, performance is slow on a laptop with a wireless 3g card and a desktop with 4gb of RAM. Both units using XP Pro.
Greater Chicago area ACC
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Internet settings for ACT 4 web

3G cards are typically slow for internet access. Is it also slow trying to access the web server from your LAN?

Can you be a bit more specific about where you find it slow?

Here's one tip to speed it up: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/01/quick-tip-to-improve-speed-on-act.html

Copper Contributor

Well, of course, the initial load of the app as well as logging into the database is slow, that's slow even when the database is local. Lookups are slow and switching from Contacts to Calendar to Companies is slow. I downloaded that file that reduces the size of the icon. Thanks, I'll try that next week.
Greater Chicago area ACC

What else is running on the server?

7K hard drive is my usualy minimum spec for a workstation... I'd usually recommend 10K or 15K on a server

Copper Contributor

Nothing else is running on the server. The client allocated this machine solely for ACT for Web use. Again, it's got 4gb of RAM and 4 scsi hard drives running Server 2003. Their IT guy said they have a 384kbs up connection. Is that sufficient?
Greater Chicago area ACC

384 is at the low end... but that's why I suggested you try accessing from a machine connected on the LAN

As to the drives, I assume a RAID config? Which RAID level?

How many ACT! users?

Is it slow to bring up the default screen at the beginning? If so, it's IIS and/or the web connection

Also, what version of ACT! - full build from Help | about