Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing on Windows Server 2008

Installing on Windows Server 2008

Has anyone been able to install ACT for Web 2008 on this platform?  If so, what kind of problems did you have to work through?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Installing on Windows Server 2008

Ha... I was just about to ask the same question Smiley Happy

It's certainly not supported yet, but would be nice to start seeing if it'll be a big change for Sage or if it just works
Copper Elite Contributor

I had no issues installing it.
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.

Are you using it served from 2008, Nikolas?

Any thoughts on performance compared to 2003?

I'm having trouble with the impersonation account.  The fat client works fine.  Did you follow the recommended procedure for creating the impersonation account or can you direct me to resources that can give me alternative ways to create this account?  I'm a newbie.

Try this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/2alxfv

But if on Server 2008, the security is different as is the version of IIS... so who knows if it'll work.

Let us know
Copper Elite Contributor

The performance is worse on 2008, but _all_ performance is worse, so that doesn't really mean anything. As far as configuration, I can't really remember, I've been installing act for web since it came out, the installation documentation isn't something I refer to often. The impersonation account has to be a member of local admin, if I recall correctly, that's the only caveat, that and asp.net has to be enabled in IIS.
Nick Bohne

W2008 is worse for performance than 2003? Wow!

With desktop operating systems, I can see how MS gets away with it - but with a server OS, you'd think the potential user market would be more demanding.

I thought you could install reduced "task specific" versions of the OS to improve performance?

Have you found any advantages other than the included virtualisation hypervisor?

Re virtualisation, as I was an IBM engineer in the early 80 and they have had virtual machines for nearly 50 years, it's strange to see how the industry has come full circle, but still acts as though it's so new :-)
Copper Elite Contributor

I tried it on the last beta release that came out, as I understand, the shipping version will include SP1 for windows 2008 (I think it's based on a lot of Vista code)
Nick Bohne

Should be interesting... I can't install Vista sp1 on my desktop for the next few weeks as Microsoft are fixing certain "driver issues" that cause problems on "some" machines