Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing Act! Premium v18 with SQL Server 2012

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Installing Act! Premium v18 with SQL Server 2012

Hi all,

We are installing Act! Premium version 18.1.103.0. Update 3 on a server running Windows Server 2012 R2. We need to use SQL Server 2012 Express SP3 CU3 (rather than the included SQL Server 2014 Express) in order for our backup software to be able to back up the database.

I've followed the instructions here to configure the database:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37834/~/how-to-manually-create-the-microsoft-sql-server-20...

After creating the database, I ran the installation wizard for Act! Premium. The installer detected the database instance and prompted me for the sa password, which I entered, and the installation appeared to complete successfully. However, I am now seeing the following issues:

• When attempting to create a new database from the New Database... button in the toolbar, I get the message saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
  • When attempting to open the "Act2016Demo.pad" database, I get the following error:
    • The "(local)" computer could not be reached because the IP address "" could not be resolved. Verifying the "(local)" computer is available on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve this issue.
  • When running actdiag, I get the following error:
    • at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
      at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
      at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
      at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
      at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
      at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
      at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
      at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
      at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
      at ActDiag.Common.GetSAPassword()
      at ActDiag.ServerInfo..ctor()
      at ActDiag.FormACTDiag..ctor()
      at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.֗(String[] ֘)

Can anyone confirm whether the document I followed to create the database is still applicable for Act! v18? And if so, any suggestions as to how I can resolve the issue? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rgsteele
‎07-05-2016 08:18 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Installing Act! Premium v18 with SQL Server 2012

Judging by the lack of responses, I assume that installing Act! Premium v18 with SQL Server 2012 simply doesn't work. I've given up and have re-installed Act! with its included SQL Server 2014 and will have to find some workaround for backing up the database.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

Hi Juan, I can confirm both the "SQL Server (ACT7)" and "SQL Server Browser" services already had the Startup Type set to Automatically and both are running.

Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Copper Contributor

I've already tried both of those with no success. Any other suggestions?

Solution
Accepted by topic author rgsteele
‎07-05-2016 08:18 AM
Copper Contributor

Judging by the lack of responses, I assume that installing Act! Premium v18 with SQL Server 2012 simply doesn't work. I've given up and have re-installed Act! with its included SQL Server 2014 and will have to find some workaround for backing up the database.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Use the ACT! scheduler to do automatic backups of the ACT! database to a location on the server that  is backed up by the server backup. Far easier of recovery of the ACT! database from its backup that from an individual file backup/

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy, I will look into that.