Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing Act Premium v17 problems need help!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Installing Act Premium v17 problems need help!

I have followed all of the instructions for installing act on SQL08r2 with standard sql installation. I have created and started the act7 SQL instance. I have also installed act "custom" without the SQL express (since we already have sql standard). I am now lost. The program starts. never asks me for act7 sql instance database password. It does not show anything other than "new database" or connect to "shared" database.

-Is act supposed to find the act7 instance durring installation??

-Do i need to first connect the act 7 instance into sql??

Please help!!! We purchased this over a month ago and the software is basically a paperweight.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dougrecore@gmail.com
‎10-14-2015 07:32 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Installing Act Premium v17 problems need help!

Yes, create a new database.

You can see the instance in ...

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

View solution in original post

All Replies

I think you need to select Standard/Typical install instead of custom and installer will detect that you have SQL installed and ask you to connect to your instance.
Nickel Super Contributor

Another way is to install Act! allowing Act! install SQL and create the instance, after... do the SQL Server 2008 R2 upgrade to the Standard version.

At this point you can do is:

1. completely uninstall SQL Server
2. Restart de server/computer
3. Delete de SQL Folders in Program Files AND Program Files (X86)
4. and then reinstall creating the ACT7 instance with the Satndard Version

BEFORE - Do not forget to temporarily disable the UAC (User account Control) , antivirus and Firewall

Instance password...   ActbySage1!

When you finish installing SQL...  Open the Command Prompt...  (As Administrator)

1. cd C:\Program Files (x86)\act\act for windows  (ENTER)   OR   cd C:\Program Files (x86)\act\act for web  (ENTER)
2. SecurityCmdLnApp.exe "ActbySage1!"  (ENTER)

try again with Act! - Good luck

4.png

Juan Carlos Otero
Employee

[ Edited ]

When you created the Act7 instance you should have been prompted to create a password as per step 14 in this article:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27039/kw/create%20sql%202008%20r2%20standard

When act prompts for the password you need to enter the password you created. this will connect Act to SQL.

If Act is installed and the ACT7 instance has been created you could try these steps:

1. Click the Windows Start button and select Run.
  2. The Run dialog box will appear. In the Open field type cmd and click OK. Windows Vista/7/Server 2008 users will type this command in the "Search" box on the Start menu.
  3. The Command Prompt window will appear. Type one of the following commands, depending on your version of Act! and your operating system:

If you have a 32-bit Operating System:
    • Act! and Act! Premium: cd c:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows
    • Act! Premium (access via web)cd c:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Web

If you have a 64-bit Operating System:
    • Act! and Act! Premium: cd c:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Windows
    • Act! Premium (access via web): cd c:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Web

...and press Enter.

4. Type SecurityCmdLnApp.exe "xxxx" (include the quotes), where xxxx is the SA password you used in Step 14 when creating the ACT7 instance of SQL Server. Press Enter.
  5. After a few moments, the Command Prompt will return the C:\ prompt, indicating you have successfully connected to SQL. Close the Command Prompt.
  6. Launch Act!

[ Edited ]

Ok so I Act installed. The Act7 instanace is installed and service is running.  I just performed the command line steps.

This is what i see when i start act. I then have to create a new database?? Is this correct? Am i supposed to see an instance of act in the SQL server manager??? act7.PNG

Solution
Accepted by topic author dougrecore@gmail.com
‎10-14-2015 07:32 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Yes, create a new database.

You can see the instance in ...

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero

Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!! I had it installed correctly but Act does a horrible job at confirming or showing me that it was connected. The diagnostic utility i had no idea about showed me that it was correct. Thanks again!