Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT Premium and SQL server on different machines

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Installing ACT Premium and SQL server on different machines

I have an SQL Server 2014 installation that I'd like to host the ACT database on.  So I'll have an act Webserver one one machine, and sql 2014 on another machine.

However, during the Act installation, my choices are to install SQL express on the local webserver machine, or install no database - it seems I cannot get it to connect to my preferred sql server and create the act database there.

Do I need to install sql express locally so that I can create a "second" act database in my preferred server afterwards?

If so, can I then uninstall sql express on my local act machine?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author pdwalker
‎10-02-2018 09:05 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Installing ACT Premium and SQL server on different machines

Act! needs to be installed on a machine where the ACT7 instance of SQL is installed and will host the database and files. The Act! premium for web can be installed on a different server to the database server and then it would just connect to the database server just like any other internal network client.

Server A

ACT7 instance of SQL

Act! Premium install with the database shared.

Server B

APFW 

You didn't mention if it was version 20 of APFW you were installing but the guide is here http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38870

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author pdwalker
‎10-02-2018 09:05 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Act! needs to be installed on a machine where the ACT7 instance of SQL is installed and will host the database and files. The Act! premium for web can be installed on a different server to the database server and then it would just connect to the database server just like any other internal network client.

Server A

ACT7 instance of SQL

Act! Premium install with the database shared.

Server B

APFW 

You didn't mention if it was version 20 of APFW you were installing but the guide is here http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38870

I hope this helps

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to run an extra database server, but it appears that is a requirement.