Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing ACT 2009 Premium ST on system that already runs SQL Express 2008?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Installing ACT 2009 Premium ST on system that already runs SQL Express 2008?

I have one user who uses SQL Express 2008 for an application that runs on his computer and I need to install ACT 2009.  But it generates an error during the SQL installation.  Has anyone encountered this yet?  My initial reaction based on my knowledge of SQL is that we'd need to uninstall 2008 first before doing the ACT 2009 install.  I'm checking MS's website for additional clues since it appears that 2005 Standard and 2008 Express can run side by side since ACT generates its own instance.

Of course, manually creating the SQL 2005 Standard database on his computer may be a possibility, but he's half way around the world and this is not really an option short of him shipping his laptop back to us.  Doh!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author neonz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Installing ACT 2009 Premium ST on system that already runs SQL Express 2008?

There's only one ACT CD for the client install.  We copied the files into a folder on the client laptop, which isn't a problem.  We finally got ACT 2009 installed after removing SQL Express 2008, the applications that used SQL Express 2008, and deleting the Program Files/SQL Server directory.   Once ACT was installed and updated, we reinstalled SQL Express 2008 and the applications.  So far so good.  I think this just happened to be a situation that few ever encounter.  Thanks for checking into this issue and following up.  There are great questions in this thread to ask if anyone else encounters a similar issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Installing ACT 2009 Premium ST on system that already runs SQL Express 2008?

I haven't read anywhere that SQL Server 2005 Standard cannot coexist on a machine that has SQL Server 2008 Express.  Since SQL Server 2005 Express can coexist with 2005 Standard, I assume that same applies with 2008.

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks.  I agree with you and haven't located any KB articles disproving multiple instances of varied SQL editions, especially this combination.  Unfortunately this doesn't help me figure out why I am encountering this problem.  I'll try again soon with performing the ACT 2009 installation prior to the application that requires SQL Express 2008.  **crosses fingers**
Nickel Elite Contributor

Yes both these editions can coexist.  Only the instance names MUST be unique.

What exactly is failing?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Super Contributor

SQL Express 2008 is already installed and used for development of our corporate software.  The ACT 2009 installation fails at the point that SQL Standard 2005 starts to install.
Nickel Elite Contributor

What operating system and service pack level?

What component of SQL Express 2005 is failiing?  Does it show during the process?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Super Contributor

Vista Business SP1.  ACT 2009 Premium ST installs SQL Server Standard 2005, not Express.  The SQL 2005 installation begins, but fails with a Fatal Error.  I don't have any more information than this.  Have Standard 2005 and Express 2008 on the same machine may be conflicting the system resources or something.  This is not documented anywhere that I can find and my experience with SQL tells me that they should be able to co-exist on the same machine.  But 2008 is fairly new, so I'm leaving some room for extra-ordinary circumstances causing this.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I am aware that ACT! Premium ST ships SQL 2005 Standard edition.  May I ask why you are installing SQL 2005 Standard on a Workstation class machine rather than a Server class?

I am suspicious here that because you are install SQL 2005 Standard on Vista, that the error you are having is related to the initial incompatibility with SQL 2005 Standard Edition RTM.  Microsoft does NOT offer SQL Standard / Enterprise / Data Center editions as SlipStreamed media, meaning that you must install the RTM version, then apply service packs.  This is NOT the case with SQL Express.

If you start the install of SQL 2005 Standard on Vista, you will be greeted with a warning message about possible problems hosting.

Is there any reason you cannot simply install SQL Express 2005 on the machine?

Both versions can coexist, only the instance names MUST be unique.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Super Contributor

We are simply installing ACT 2009 Premium ST out-of-the-box on a client laptop like I have on 75 other laptops (all remote users), with a mix of XP SP3 and Vista Business SP1 operating systems.  This is the only one with SQL Express 2008 installed on it prior to ACT 2009 and the only one to give me a problem.  What ACT decides to install is up to the ACT Installer.  I'm not doing anything special =)   The installtion process always creates the ACT7 instance on its own once I go through the default prompts.

This really shouldn't be a problem.

Nickel Elite Contributor

So when you error, is this during the the installation of CD#1 or during CD#2 ?
Matthew McFadden