Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installation Problem

Installation Problem

I have had to reinstall my WinXP Pro O/S following a disk error. I have been reinstalling applications and Act 7.0 will not reinstall. It installs .Net Framework 1.1 and after it notes a successful installation, it starts to install Act 7.0 and then a splash comes up indicating that Act 7.0/Act Premium requires Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 to be installed and to select OK to install it. The system then returns to the opening screen to select Install Act!, etc. This loop is endless.

I have run through the procedure for a complete uninstall and none of the files or keys that need to be deleted are present. How may I stop this loop?

/s/ Alan Auerbach

Grateful Longtime Act! User

Silver Contributor

Re: Installation Problem

I don't say this too often, but ACT version 7.o is unsupported and is not a great ACT year.  (also, 5 versions our of Date) Have you considered an upgrde?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Dear Jon,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I have considered changing and I am thinking about 2009 because I found it at a low price (we have 8 users). V 7 (2005) has worked--and continues to work--well for us. I am just having this pesky installation problem on one computer that had a disk failure. I cannot understand why the installation application is not working properly. It will be very expensive--not to mention time consuming--to change everyone to a new version. That should be unnecessary and I hope I will not have to go that route.

/s/ Alan

Silver Contributor

Version 2009 is still 4 version ouf of datae You would miss compatibility with MS Office 2010, and Windows 7.  It is not supported by Sage, and is not sold by Sage.  IT is most likely used software or bootlegged software.  So, for me, the risk is not worth the upside.. 

"Very Expensive"  upgrading 8 users if you do the install is under $2000.  Hopefullly not too expensive when you consider the upside in productivity and that most of these problems will go away.  You would get support from Sage for the install, or you can choose to use your favorite ACT Consultant.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Super Contributor

While I would certainly like to see you update... here is something to try to get past your current situation:

- clean any remnants of Act! back off this workstation

- uninstall .Net 1.1

- reboot computer

Browse/Explore the installation disk > locate the file 'dotnetfx.exe'.  Double click on it to start the installation of .Net 1.1 independent of the Act! install.  Once it is complete > reboot the computer and attempt the Act! installation.

I believe the location of the dotnetfx file will be: Standard/Premium folder\ACT7.

Greg Martin
Sage

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your continuing support. It is well appreciated.

$2,000 is a lot for us--especially for a system that is working well on all but one machine. We do not use Office 2010 (we are getting along very well with 2003) and all our machines are running WinXP Pro. In addition to the cost, machines are in Scottsdale, New York, New Jersey and California (we use a VPN system) and all share a database that is about 7GB here in Scottsdale. We have good integration with Office 2003 and everyone understands the system.

My goal is to get the one problem machine runinng again. If I cannot find a solution to the installation problem, it will be easier to Fdisk the machine and start from scratch. You are correct that the offered Act! 2009 may not even work. I know that V7 works for us.

Best wishes and much thanks,

/s/ Alan

Dear Greg,

Thank you for the support.

I have done everything that you suggest--even gotten a new copy of dotnetfx.exe from the Microsoft download site. Once .Net Framework 1.1 is installed, the Act! installation app appears to think that it is not. However, once it advises me that it needs to be installed, rather than attempting to install it, the app goes back to the start screen. If 1.1 is NOT installed, then the app will automatically install it, finish successfully and then loop again. I am thinking that there is a registry setting that is wrong (although I have carefully followed the complete uninstall procedure) and the only remaining solution is an Fdisk.

Best wishes,

/s/ Alan

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Alan,

While I hate to see customers struggle with older versions and outdated technology, perhaps the issue is leftover components from a damaged installation of .NET. You can try using the .NET Cleanup Utility to remove these components. Normally, this utility should only be used when other methods have failed.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.