Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Install error message SQL Server Service failed to start. See the SQLServer Books Online topics...How to :...Server 2005 setup log files

Copper Elite Contributor

Install error message SQL Server Service failed to start. See the SQLServer Books Online topics...How to :...Server 2005 setup log files

I am attempting to setup a new remote user. Version of ACT: ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0.  During the setup, while it is attempting to attach the demo data base, it gives me this error:  "SQL Server Service failed to start see the SQLServer Books Online topics How to: View SQL server 2005 setup log files...starting SQL server manually

I have never encountered this problem. Any suggestions?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Install error message SQL Server Service failed to start. See the SQLServer Books Online topics...How to :...Server 2005 setup log files

The following may help - Answer ID 19729

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Install error message SQL Server Service failed to start. See the SQLServer Books Online topics...How to :...Server 2005 setup log files

Thanks, Juan.  That looks and sounds like it might be the solution. It is my new agent's computer. I will have James give your solution a try.  We'll let you know. Thanks again for taking the time to help us out!  I have yet to not resolve an ACT issue because of the great support of our ACT community.

Copper Elite Contributor

solution 1

within the file "microsoftSQL" I have only 2 files: 90 and ACT7. I have no instance file. 

solution 2

I created a backup and the domain key. Still encountered a similar error.

Solution 3

I had no SQL SERVER (Act7)

solution 4

I used the command prompt and encountered a different error: fatal error

My system: Sony viao VPCL212, windows 7 home premium edition. 

Platinum Super Contributor

The lack of the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service indicates the SQL Server installation did not complete.  If there are no other programs using SQL Server on this computer:

1. Uninstall ACT! (through Programs/Features)

2. Uninstall all SQL Server components (through Programs/Features)

3. Disable UAC: KB Article 25665

4. Reboot computer > ensure signing on with Windows Admin level user

5. Disable any anti-virus software

6. Install SQL Server manually: KB Article 19386

Watch for any errors during installation.  If no errors, after install - check services for 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service.  Able to start or restart it? 

If it will start/restart, install ACT! as normal (will prompt for SA password created during SQL Server install).

If errors during the install of SQL Server > troubleshoot/resolve those errors before installing ACT!

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

At #21 of the attached solution (the last step in manual installation you have listed), 

SQL server database services setup failed. Upon examination of the setup, I located the following:

Property(S): Detail_ActionMaintain = Maintain (Action is only available from Add or Remove Programs)
Property(S): Detail_ReasonMaintain = Cannot maintain product, to maintain the product go to Add or Remove Programs
Property(S): Detail_ActionUpgrade = Upgrade
Property(S): Detail_ReasonUpgrade = Product can be upgraded to a new version
Property(S): Detail_ActionNone = None
Property(S): Detail_ReasonNoVirtualize = Product cannot be virtualized
Property(S): Detail_ReasonNone = Upgrades are not supported yet
Property(S): Detail_ReasonBlock = Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
Property(S): Detail_ReasonRemoveDTS = The SQL Server instance you are upgrading includes Data Transformation Services. Following the upgrade, Data Transformation Services will be removed unless there are other SQL Server instances installed that share it. Click on help for more information.
Property(S): Detail_ReasonRemoveTools = The SQL Server instance you are upgrading includes SQL Server Management Tools. Following the upgrade, previous versions of SQL Server Management Tools will be removed unless there are other SQL Server instances installed that share them. Do not use previous versions of SQL Server Management Tools with SQL Server 2005. Instead, use SQL Server 2005 Management Tools included in the SQL Server 2005 Workstation Components feature.
Property(S): SampleDatabase_DlgDesc = Configure how the sample databases are installed.

Maybe these mean something to you or could help you diagnose my case.

Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greg,

My new agent, James, is the one working on this issue with his computer. Did you have a chance to take a look at his last log with regard to the SQL install?  He says he followed the instructions to a T.

Also, can you please ask a sales person to put together an eMail for me with what it would cost to upgrade my licenses to the latest version?  My current version:  Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 4.  Ask them to please include one year of support and any discounts now being offered. Have them eMail it to me [removed personal information].

I believe I have 8 licenses. I think it is one package of 5 plus 3 individual licenses.

It looks like the install is finding pieces of a previous installation of SQL Server.  To remove SQL Server completely, try the following: 

Note: These steps involve working in the registry, deleting the wrong key can cause issues with the computer.  If not completely comfortable with this - Do Not Attempt:

- uninstall all SQL Server components from Programs and Features

- uninstall 'MSXML 6.0 Parser'

- browse to C:\Program Files (x86) > rename 'Microsoft SQL Server' folder (add '- old' to name)

- open registry (Windows Start > Search field > enter 'RUN' > press ENTER)

- Very important: backup registry (File > Export > ensure 'Export Range' is All)

- Expand 'Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft

- look for and delete keys with prefix: 'MSSQL', 'Microsoft SQL', or 'SQL'

- Expand 'Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft

- Expand 'Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Micorsoft\Window\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

- arrow through keys with '{ }' brackets, remove any that reference SQL Server

- Expand 'Hkey_Local_Machine\System\ControlSet001\Services'

Repeat for all ControlSets and CurrentControlSet

If any keys are questionable, do not delete them.

- Reboot computer

- Attempt manual install of SQL Server 2005

You may be able to use other programs such as 'CCleaner' or 'Auslogics Boost Speed' to perform the removal of the SQL Server registry entries.

If fails again, note error presented and step failed on.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

I removed each instance of act as you have plainly specified. However, I have encountered the identical error. Here is a summary (note: seadog is my machine's name)

SEADOG : Failed to find the ASP.Net Version Registration with Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS).
Machine : SEADOG
Product : Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
Product Version : 9.00.3042.00
Install : Successful
Log File : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0001_SEADOG_SQLSupport_1.log
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Log File : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0001_SEADOG_SQLNCLI_1.log
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product : Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
Log File : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0001_SEADOG_SqlWriter_1.log
Product : SQL Server Database Services
Error : The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting Internal Properties. The error is: Fatal error during installation.

Product : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Product Version : 9.2.3042.00
Install : Failed
Log File : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0001_SEADOG_SQL.log
Last Action : SetInstanceProperty
Error String : The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting Internal Properties. The error is: Fatal error during installation.
Error Number : 29528

I can't tell if the ASP.Net error is the complete culprit for the SQL Server install failure, but here is an article about this issue with instructions for enabling IIS: Dthatcher Blogspot SQL Server

Here is a Microsoft article about the 'setting internal properties' error: Microsoft Article 919945

You will need to uninstall/reinstall SQL Server. 

Greg Martin
Sage