Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Install Act v17 Premium on New Windows 10 Laptop?

Copper Contributor

Install Act v17 Premium on New Windows 10 Laptop?

So I just received my brand new Dell XPS 15 4k display laptop.  I realize there are scaling issues with Act which I'm hoping won't be so bad in a lower resolution (kind of defeats having a 4k display).

Nevertheless, I want to give this one more crack before I think about exploring other CRM solutions.  A few questions:

1. Is it possible to install Act v17 on Windows 10 and still have it functional? 

2. Would going with the web-based version of Act Premium essentially eliminate any of those scaling issues with high resolution displays?

I'm really hoping to get some guidance on these two topics.  I also have the Advisor add-on I purchased for Act Premium which adds customized tabs for financial advisors.  I'm wondering how much customizability is available through the web-based hosted version of Act.

Thanks

Marco

Copper Contributor

Re: Install Act v17 Premium on New Windows 10 Laptop?

Great news, was able to install v17.2.  Anyone know if there are hotfixes or service packs after 17.2 that I should install?  

Thanks

Administrator

Hi Jag,

We're currently testing a new hotfix for v17.2 which should be released soon.

To help you with testing, you can use http://afwdemo.act.com/apfw/ as a testing environment for you display. Remember that there are a few differences between the desktop application and Act! for web. This KB article details them.

As for your advisor addon, it would be best to contact the developer of that particular addon to assess compatibility with Act! for web.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary, think I'm going to stick with the desktop version for now. I was able to improve the scaling a little by adjusting the properties of the launch file prior to executing.  Still some nuances but it's manageable, although I did have to lower my 4k resolution down to 1080p - shame really that there are so many developers that still aren't coding their apps to accomodate higher resolution displays.

Bronze Contributor

A tip to try on the higher res monitor is to adjust the DPI to 110% which is not quite 100% and not the 125 that makes Act grumpy. You have to go into the setting that allows for a custom setting. I found it helps.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

Yeah I tried that but was still having some issues.  I've settled on a resolution of 2048x1152 at 130% custom DPI settings. Still a shame I can't use 4K with this amazing laptop. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Gary

Within the hotfix is a patch I have asked for and the team have fixed. Was told would be out by the end of this month. Do you have a release date?

Administrator

Hi ch1p,

The hotfix is currently in internal QA testing and should be released as soon as that is complete, assuming there are no delays or revisions needed.
Copper Contributor

What will the hotfix address?

Employee

Hi

The issues fixed in the hotfix are available in the below mentioned article

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36573/kw/Updates
And regarding the display issue, I have a suggestion! Can you try right click on the act icon in desktop and choose properties and there should be a check box called disable display scaling... Check that and close act and reopen to check if it makes any changes. You can set DPI to 125% for this .