Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Install Act! Premium for Web 2011 on SBS 2008

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Install Act! Premium for Web 2011 on SBS 2008

Dear All,

i just tried to install Premium for Web 2011 on my SBS 2008 and the Web side of things did not work. The install wrote something to my applicationHost config file that seemed to break my company website with an error 500 when I tried to access it.

I did quite a bit of googling but gave up in the end and replaced the corrupt applicationHost config file with a backup. My server now works as it should but  the web side of things for Act for web does not work.

Does anyone know how I can this to work?  Many thanks….

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Install Act! Premium for Web 2011 on SBS 2008

OK all works now. Turns out I didnt set the APFW app pool to 32 bit

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

Is Sharepoint enabled? Sharepoint has a lot of control on IIS in 2008 and can be the source of ACT! installation issues. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Yes we do. Its quite a nice way to log into a PC from outside the network.

The Act! Install breaks it by making the default Application Pool 32bit but the install does not leave me with a working ACT! I get an error 500 if I try to access company web but it works fine if I change the App Pool back to 64bit.

Only problem is is that if I change the App pool to 32bit and try to access "apfw" I get the following error:

"The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred."

and Company web doesn't work and if I change it to 64 bit the Company web works but I get an error:

"Could not load file or assembly 'EastAsianDll' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

I tried to make an App Pool called "AFPW" set it to 32bit and pointed the 4 "AFPW" websites to it. It didn't work but I imagine there is probably a little more to it than that.

Is there a simple fix to this? Or should I install it on another machine? Its a shame if I do because my beast of a server is somewhat underused as we only have 10 users and it is mostly being used as a file server.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply......

Copper Contributor

OK got it to work on SBS 2008 FE sort of.

I had to amend the web.config file to where the  “impersonate"  user name and password actually are.

<identity impersonate="true" userName="registry:HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\AspNetProcess\ASPNET_SETREG,userName" password="registry:HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\AspNetProcess\ASPNET_SETREG,password" />

I also had to set the “impersonate user” account to be in the domain controller security group and DNS Admins group under Active directory Users and Computers. However I did remove the “impersonate user” from these two groups and the test still works so I am not sure what happened there.

The problem now is that changing the App pools default to 32 bit kills my company website but if I change it back to 64bit it kills Act! Web

I have created a new App pool for the four Act! Websites and set it to 32bit but I still get the.

Could not load file or assembly 'EastAsianDll' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.” error

Now this is all guess work for me so any help or advise on any security issues I may have created would be much appreciated.

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

OK all works now. Turns out I didnt set the APFW app pool to 32 bit
Bronze Super Contributor

If you cannot invest the time to work through this or are uncomfortable doing so, perhaps the simplest solution if your server hardware is up to the task, is to create a virtual machine using a vanilla copy of just plain Win Server '08 and install ACT! in that...

This will keep you from the headaches of having EVERYTHING running in the same sandbox...

Just a thought...