Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Industry

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Industry

How do I enter industry in contact details ?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author angy@youvebeengifted.com.au
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Industry

[ Edited ]

I've sent you a PM with our contact details.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Angy,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Entering data (Industry) could be done several ways; one of which is to create a new field called 'Industry' (Tools > Define Fields) and add it to the layout.

Is there anything specific about the way you would like the data entered or searched? This may help Community members offer ideas about your question.

What version of Sage ACT! are you running?
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for your help Greg. I actually would like to search all industries eg- healthcare so i can target that group specifically. At the moment they are only grouped in alphabetical order and scattered. 

I have ACT premium 2008 (10.0)...

I have done what you instructed me however my Define Fields is not active so i cannnot change fields..

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Angy

To be able to define fields you need to have Administration privelleges in the database.  If you have been setup with a standard user account you will be unable to do this.  You can get the person that has Admin privelleges on your database to set up the new field if you want.  However may I suggest you use the ID/Status feild already in ACT?

If you create IDs like Healthcare, aged care, etc you can then do a look up on the ID/Status feild for specific industries. 

Regards,

Cherie Buttsworth

Simply PC

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Hi Cherie,

Yes that helps me at the present moment ...however when I display the Contact list some contact have already been categorised in their industry. I have no idea how they got there or who put them there but not all contact have been done. Is this something that happens automatically ? I actually added Industry as a disply option (Customise column) so i could see them , but do not know how they have been entered.mmmm very puzzling indeed !

Copper Elite Contributor

Sorry, could you please let me know which option you went with?  ID/Status field or creating and "industry" field?

If you have created a new field called "Industry" then it should not contain any data.  If you haven't created a new field, but simply renamed one, (for example User1) then it will contain data, if the renamed field already had data entered for some contacts.

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

HI Cherie,

I went to the top bar where it says the total number of contacts...then contacts..contact list....i chose 'contact list' then they all appear in alphabetical order far right hand side there is an option button with an arrow which gives you an option to customise column ...then i select what i would like displayed...then i found the heading 'industry" as a choice ...then it displayed industry next to clients details. I have been told that no one entered the industry in contact information . my question is does ACT do it automatically or does someone need to enter it...and if we do where ??? 

I know what you mean ID/Status I can add what i would like ...but my question is how can I access INDUSTRY information for the clients that do not have anything allocated.

Copper Elite Contributor

The industry field should be a standard ACT field.  Do you know if the industry field has been displayed anywhere on your contact layout?  

By default it will just be a character field, which is set to "allow blank".  Really the only way for data to be there is if it has been entered by someone, at some point.

If its not displaying on your main contact layout, you can add the industry field to your contact layout via Tools -> Design Layouts -> Contact.  From that layout designer you can add the field.  However, if this industry field has already been used somewhere on your contact layout, it will not come up as an available field to add.  (Because it has already been added.)  If this is the case, you will have to find which tab its been placed on, if its not in the main contact details section.

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Hi again, No the field is not displayed nor can i select anything in design layout...how will i be able to find the tab its been placed on? 

Copper Elite Contributor

If its definitely not in the Select Fields list when you select "field" from the left hand side and create the field box with your cursor, then it must already be in the layout.  Somewhere.  Unfortuntately, there is no real easy way to find where it may be.  Its just a matter of looking at each tab and seeing if its there or not.

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au