Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Industry specific version

Copper Super Contributor

Industry specific version

I'm curious why there is a version specifically for Real Estate professionals and not one for Recruiters. I work for a recruiting firm and in Act Prem 2005 (our current version) we can't use any of the Opportunity features. Opportunities are more like products to be sold and no customization can be done to tweak it for our use. It would be nice if we could manipulate the Opportunity to reflect Job Ops. Ideally, I'd like to be able to attach contacts to the opportunity if/when they have been considered for that opportunity.

From the very limited amount of information I've seen on Act Prem for RE, it looks like the Opportunities are very customizable. However, it seems like there would be quite a few work-arounds for us if we went to the RE version. Are they any plans for producing a recruiting industry version of Act?

(FYI, I added a feature request quite some time ago for the ability to attach contacts to an opportunity.)
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Industry specific version

You might post a request for a Recuiters version to be considered here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Back with ACT! 5/6, I set up a few head hunters with ACT! using the Groups for Job... then attach the Client Contact records and the Applicant Contact records.
Copper Super Contributor

I considered using the groups for that. But as it is, we already have so many groups it's annoying. Because Act doesn't do any type of regional searching (by zipcode, for example), I had to create groups that populate based on area codes. Just for California, and for the various departments, we have over 100 groups. My users complain that when "show sub groups" is checked, there's too many for them to scroll through. 2005 doesn't organize groups as nicely as the later versions of Act.
Bronze Elite Contributor

You don't need ACT! to make/sell a database for recruiters.

I have about 2 dozen customers in your industry... Its a matter of YOU becoming a master of ACT!, having good database design, addons like those at www.egrabber.com, and thinking outside the box to have a killer database.

Your database is a journey and never a destination. You will always improve it.

These web forums help as does the $49 book ACT! sells (but I really love ACT! 2008 for dummies because she sometimes tells you why not to do something).  I would suggest upgrading from version 7 (2005) to version 10 (2008) for the major performance boost and all the subtle companies enhancements you can take advantage of...

good luck.
-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net
Copper Super Contributor

Michael,

Thanks, but honestly, you can't become a "master" of an Act database by reading Act for Dummies. Those books barely scratch the surface of what I do.

As for add ons, I look to those about as kindly as I do to syncs: big waste of time. Every add on I've ever tried has been one bad experience after another. The resume grabber type programs require too much manual work to re-edit the information. I've tried some stuff from Durkin, and that was a crash and burn.

I feel like I have a killer database right now, but it's only from 2 years of tweaking every aspect of groups, fields, companies, and layouts. But these are all work arounds. One feature that we could benefit from more than anything is being able to to do a search for people that are within a certain number of miles from a specific zip code. For instance, if you have a job in 90017 (Los Angeles), then I'd like to find everyone within 25 miles of that zip code. My only option now is to search by every phone numbers that begin with 213, 310, 323, 562, 626, 747, 818.

I can deal with the performance issues from 2005 to 2008. It sucks that it's slow. But speed isn't my biggest issue.

Dave, you could work with an ACT! Certified Consultant... or even look at becomming one. They do a course (5 days I think), that's pretty intense.

DaveHenzel wrote:
I considered using the groups for that. But as it is, we already have so many groups it's annoying. Because Act doesn't do any type of regional searching (by zipcode, for example), I had to create groups that populate based on area codes. Just for California, and for the various departments, we have over 100 groups. My users complain that when "show sub groups" is checked, there's too many for them to scroll through. 2005 doesn't organize groups as nicely as the later versions of Act.

I don't think this was available in ACT! 2005, but in the current versions of ACT! you can have sub-Groups display in tree views and look them up like contacts.

Another reason to look at upgrading