Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Increasing attachment size limits for Outloook to ACT 2011 Web integration?

Copper Contributor

Increasing attachment size limits for Outloook to ACT 2011 Web integration?

Our ACT users can attache large files to their client history using the ACT Web client, however, when they try to attach files greater than 4mb from Outlook to ACT, the import fails.

I followed the instructions in KB 17579, using "UploadMax Size" = 0 in the Web.config, and the  <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="102400000" />. 

The web site errors out with these values, stating the max value for the maxRequestLengh must be 2097151, so I changed the maxRequestLengh=2097151.

After making these changes and restarting the web server,the Outlook attachment limit remains at 4mb.

Any other suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Increasing attachment size limits for Outloook to ACT 2011 Web integration?

If you set either of those two at a smaller level (eg 1GB), do they have the correct effect?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike,

Are you suggesting I lower the values below the default 4mb limt, to see if they have any effect?  Might be worth a try, but I'm starting to think there are two separate web.config files - one in the APFW folder for ACT clients, and one in the APFWOutlookSrvc folder for the ACT plugin for Outlook - here's my logic:

I've got the "UpLoadMaxSize" value = 0 in the web.config located in the APFW folder, and the "maxRequestLength" = 256000 in the machine.config located in the C;\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\ v2.0.50727\Config folder. 

After I made the change above, I could uploade large (>25mb) files from my computer, using the ACT for Web client.  However, when I tried to use the ACT plugin for Outlook to send an email with a 6mb file to ACT, the upload still fails, and I get this message in the Windows Application Event log of the ACT server:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft WSE 2.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  6/20/2011
Time:  1:51:09 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: IT-TEST-ACT2011
Description:
HTTP/ASMX Message Receive Failure: .Dime.DimeFormatException: WSE352: The size of the record uuid:70ff2ae1-242f-488c-a484-9651deb9235a exceed its limit.
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Dime.DimeRecord.UpdateTotalBytesRead(Int32 bytesRead)
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Dime.DimeRecord.ReadHeader()
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Dime.DimeRecord..ctor(Stream stream, Int32 maxRecordLength)
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Dime.DimeReader.ReadRecord()
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Dime.DimeAttachmentCollection..ctor(DimeReader reader)
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Messaging.SoapDimeFormatter.Microsoft.Web.Services2.Messaging.ISoapFormatter.Deserialize(Stream stream)
   at Microsoft.Web.Services2.WebServicesExtension.BeforeDeserializeServer(SoapServerMessage message)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

In searching the Internet, I find a configuration setting for Microsoft.Web.Services2 that affects upload file size.

<messaging>
      <maxRequestLength>-1</maxRequestLength>
   </messaging>

Interesting enough, I find a reference to this configuraiton in the Web.Config file located in the APFWOutlookSrvc, located under the ACT for Web folder.  However, when I try to insert it into the Web.Config file, Outlook throws an exception referencing the format is invalid, and the statement is unkown.

I've opened a support case with ACT, and sent them the the various web.config files and my findings. 

Someone had the exact same issue with a different application, same settings, still limited to 4mb uploads:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/asmxandxml/thread/9a8df4b6-f69f-4758-9b5b-a8d3325c1a41

Copper Contributor

I stopped the “Attach to ACT! Contacts Progress” application, and reviewed the “Not Attached Messages” tab. I highlighted the email with the large attachment, and select the option to “Attach to ACT! Contact”. When I chose a different ACT contact, I received this message: WSE306: The DIME record should have the following version: 1. Instead, the DIME record contained the following version: 7. I'll start searching this error, and see if anything related turns up.