Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Inconsistent, but repeated error: The Act! Address Book service is not properly configured, ...

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Posts: 25
Country: United States
Accepted Solution

Inconsistent, but repeated error: The Act! Address Book service is not properly configured, ...

Hello,

 

Act 2009 on Server 2003 (VMware Server)

I have four users that share a database.  They use Outlook 2003 to record emails.  On seemingly random days, a given user will get the message "The Act! Address Book service is not properly configured, or the configured database name.pad is locked.  Do you want to configure it now?"

 

If they open Act and run through the email wizard (essentially clicking next the whole time) and then restart Outlook, it will work fine.

 

1.  Any ideas on why this might be occurring?

2.  How do I stop it?

 


Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author joecrowe@brassmedia.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor
Posts: 25
Country: United States

Re: Inconsistent, but repeated error: The Act! Address Book service is not properly configured, ...

For anyone looking...

 

This appeared to be a time issue.  My Act Server was time-drifting.  I set it to use our domain NTP and have not seen the issue since.

View solution in original post


All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author joecrowe@brassmedia.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor
Posts: 25
Country: United States

Re: Inconsistent, but repeated error: The Act! Address Book service is not properly configured, ...

For anyone looking...

 

This appeared to be a time issue.  My Act Server was time-drifting.  I set it to use our domain NTP and have not seen the issue since.

New Member
Posts: 9
Country: United States

Re: Inconsistent, but repeated error: The Act! Address Book service is not properly configured, ...

Don't know what you mean by "time drifting."

 

I had the same problem after many years of normal functioning. Here's my solution. I clicked "yes" in the error message pop-up, which gave me a list of my databases that were connected to Outlook. I clicked the one that was the problem, then clicked the Edit button. It had put a bunch of asterisks for the password (I don't use a password to log on). I deleted the asterisks so there was nothing in the password box, saved, closed. It then told me I need to close and reopen Outlook for this to take effect. I did that, and voila! it worked!

I use Outlook 2003 with ACT! 2009 on W7. It had been working just fine for many months so I don't know what made it stop working.