Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Including a field description in a letter??

Including a field description in a letter??

I have created a confirmation letter template in ACT that I use when I schedule and appointment.   We have the following fields set up in contacts which I have linked to the letter - DATE OF MEETING, TIME OF MEETING and OFFICE TO MEET AT.   I would like to have the office addresses show up when I use the letter.   Right now OFFICE is set as a drop down menu and the address are all set up in the description field.   If there anyway to get the desriptions to merge with the field?   I tried just adding them into the office name but I am told that I only have 50 characters so it will no work....any ideas?   I am not a "computer person" - just got this thrown in my lap and have no idea where to start....

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Including a field description in a letter??

Hello kboyletha,
Unfortunately, you cannot include the descriptions in the mail merge since they are not part of the field value. Adding them to the value is probably the only workaround. You can increase the character limit of the field by going to Tools > Define Fields and editing the field.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Including a field description in a letter??

There is a tool Advanced Mail Merge and I am sure a search of the net will locate and it allows a number of additional functionality from ACT!. You might give that a try.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.