Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing large batch of contacts

Importing large batch of contacts

Hello,

I have a batch of 40k contacts to import into ACT. We use ACT Premium Cloud. I have a remote database on my local machine which is synced with the Cloud version. I usually import contacts into the remote db and sync with the Cloud.

We have 85k records in the db.

Act! Premium (Web) Version: 18.1.108.0

Windows 7 on my local machine

My questions:

Should I divide the 40k contacts into smaller batches for import? if so, what's the recommended contacts/batch?

What would work best? Import each batch then sync after each import? or Import all 40k then do one sync?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing large batch of contacts

I would do it in smaller batches (easier to detect if something goes wrong) ... Maybe 5000 is good to start. This also means that the sync sends are reduced to more manageable levels.

Backup the remote; Import the data; Check that it seems to have imported ok, sync to the server and check it there; repeat

thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.

Can you confirm if ACT Premium Cloud was upgraded to a new version?  When I try to sync my remote I get  "The remote database is using a different ACT version than the main database"

Thanks again,

Mona Wolf

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not all the Premium Cloud servers get updated on the same day ...
You'll need to log a support ticket to see if your server has been upgraded, or when it will

Got it. thanks Mike.

Hello MIke,

In two of my batches, I've encountered this error at the end of the Import.. I can't tell why or which record is the problem. Any ideas?

Items successfully merged:
Total:4999

Act! had difficulty merging the following records. For more information, click the View article link below.

A Contact failed to merge.
Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Administrator

Hi mwolf,

It sounds like the import encountered an error on a particular contact.

Did Act import the 4999 records correctly as it indicates in the dialog you've posted? Was this out of 5000?
If the batch was ordered in alphabetical order on any of the data columns, I would try and compare the contacts added to the database, with the contacts in the batch list, looking for the last one that Act imported, then checking what contact was supposed to come next in the batch list.

One thing to look out for is completely blank rows in the batch list. These can cause Act to encounter errors when reaching the blank row. Otherwise, look for any special characters in the data that could be causing the issue.

great, thanks Gary.
Copper Contributor

Also, and I'm sorry if this seems obvious, but given that it is only off by one contact, remember that if you're trying to import 5000 contacts, the csv file is 5001 rows, as the header row is row 1. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but I have seen people make this mistake before.

thanks the worksheet has 5001 rows including header