Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing/Merging data to new fields

Copper Contributor

Importing/Merging data to new fields

What is the best way to import additional data to the Company table
without overwriting anything? I have added new fields which could be
populated from an existing list. Is this called a field level merge, and is
it possible without any 3rd party software?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing/Merging data to new fields

If the new fields are emptry, have a look at item 13 in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4xe9zn

I use itImport for this as it's faster and more reliable and can update fields already populated if you want

Copper Contributor

So does this mean I need to do an import of the WHOLE database with the new data included and do a merge, or can I just import the new data to the new fields using a primary key? Is it not possible to just import data into a new seperate table that can be related to the Company,Groups, or Contact tables kind of like in Access? For instance, I have a 'Sales' table I would like to integrate with ACT to show sales, average units done, etc. Surely there is a straightforward way to accomplish this!

Using the Merge option, you should just be able to import into the empty fields.

ACT! 10.02 added the ability to create Custom Tables, but it's only an option from the SDK at this time... so needs an add-on.

If you download itImport, when you install it, select to add itTables (or TableManager, can't remember the name) - this allows you to create custom tables that can be used for all sorts of stuff. But you can only import to them with an add-on like itImport

This would do all that you're looking for

HI,

Are you trying to import the data to companies field in contacts or to the company itself? If it is to the company you can directly select the company option while importing.

Thanks & Regards
Uniquestart Technologies
Copper Contributor

Hi Unique. I am importing to the Companies table.(the company itself).

Also, does this itImport work with 10.02? 

itImpot (depending on the edition), can import into Contacts, Companies, Groups, Notes, Histories, Secondary Contacts, Sales opportunities, Activities etc

It will work with 7.0 - 10.02