Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Excel contact lists to ACT

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing Excel contact lists to ACT

We just started on the ACT Premiun 2011 at work/technical college. We are trying to import Excel contact lists into the ACT database. My boss doesn't want to call the support desk for help. She's pulling out most of her hair. She has 1 patch left on the right side above her ear. The manual is not effective for what we're doing. The manual starts with setting up various items that we are never going to use. Could someone show me what an Excel contact list should look like or contain to import to our ACT database. I have read about syncronization and deliminators in various parts of the manual. We set up the Excel spreadsheet similar to the ACT program. I need a manual for ACT . I don't know how my boss got to the import wizard. Maybe that's the problem. We used the import wizard and it said it was finished x3. The contact list was not added. My computer at work/school has Windows 2007. It is an XP that I'm told was bought a year ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author wideners
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Importing Excel contact lists to ACT

Hello Wideners,

A little more detail on how you're doing the import would be great, i.e. are you going into ACT! and hitting import then choosing to import a excel file?

This what I would suggest, first once you have everything you want in excel, and remember to name the columns, i.e. firstname, lastname and so on. Make sure there are no weird characters in the fields $  % ^ # (  these tend to not play nicely with SQL.

In excel do a file save as and save your file as a txt tab delimited file, save this to your desktop with a name you remember.

Then follow this Knowledge base article

How to Import Contact Data from an Excel®, Comma Delimited (CSV), or Text Delimited (TXT) File into ...

When you get to the part in the KB that you choose your file format, you want to choose text separated by tabs

Just follow the above document and it should work

Let me know how you go

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

There are many options during an import and it is difficult to diagnose without the step you have used. Generall I would suggest you name the fields the same as your database fields and I always use the custom import and also on one of the wizard screen you can check to confim matches, do this so you can see why the list might not be importing.

The list can often not import also depending on the columns and their arrangment.

HTH or send me an email offline if you do not wish to publish your exact details here

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Solution
Accepted by topic author wideners
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Hello Wideners,

A little more detail on how you're doing the import would be great, i.e. are you going into ACT! and hitting import then choosing to import a excel file?

This what I would suggest, first once you have everything you want in excel, and remember to name the columns, i.e. firstname, lastname and so on. Make sure there are no weird characters in the fields $  % ^ # (  these tend to not play nicely with SQL.

In excel do a file save as and save your file as a txt tab delimited file, save this to your desktop with a name you remember.

Then follow this Knowledge base article

How to Import Contact Data from an Excel®, Comma Delimited (CSV), or Text Delimited (TXT) File into ...

When you get to the part in the KB that you choose your file format, you want to choose text separated by tabs

Just follow the above document and it should work

Let me know how you go

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005

Thank you kind sirs. I have imported all of my excel files.Woman Very Happy