Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Contacts and linking them to Companies

Importing Contacts and linking them to Companies

Hi,  after i import my contacts into ACT how do I link them automatically to companies.  Currently, I have to click on each contact and link them manually and this is a real pain since I have over 7000 contacts to import.    This seems like such a basic requirement that I thought it would be included in the import feature.  

Are there any tools available that will do this for me?

Thanks 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Importing Contacts and linking them to Companies

Hello Kev777,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Company. Unfortunately, this is not part of the current functionality although it has been submitted to our developers as a freature request. In the meantime, there is an add-on product that can do this called Company Wizard.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Is this functionality something that was added for the 2011 version?  Thanks, Telly

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Telly,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. To answer your question, this functionality has not been added to Sage ACT! 2011.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi.  Has this feature been added to the new version 2012?

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Pavman,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

This feature is not available in Sage ACT! 2012. It will require the add-on mentioned earlier in the post.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi has this functionailty been added to Act Pro 2013?

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Jackwaites,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

This function is not available in Sage ACT! 2013. It still requires the add-on.
Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

To spare Greg having to answer if it's included in ACT! 2014, I can report that this feature is included in the alpha stage at this time, and will like advance to beta, barring anything unforeseen.

The key feature here will be the ability to set the number of contacts it takes from one company to trigger the creation of a corresponding company within the company table. Once this threshold is reached, a company will be generated.

One of the sticking points is going to be divisions and the linked fields between the copany and the contacts. As you might guess, if a company is created from three contacts, and each of these three contacts has a different address information, which one will prevail?

However they work it out, I'm confident Greg will not have to cut-n-paste his answer below for ACT 2014. 

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kev777,

Is this a case where the Companies with the exact same company name existed prior to the import, or you created them manually from the 'Create Companies from Contact option in ACT! after the import but you want to be able to have them done automatically in ACT!?

And related to that...

Ken is correct.

I believe in addition to providing the automated Company creator there should be an associated utility to the proposed one, that automates the exact same behaviour as choosing the manual process  'Create Company from Contact' option from the Contact menu in ACT!. That might help Greg as well :-)  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog