Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Importing Batches of Previously Established Contacts to Groups

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Importing Batches of Previously Established Contacts to Groups

So I'm unclear on the best approach to the following:

I have many large contacts lists to be imported into specific groups.  Many of the same contacts repeat on these lists, or are already in the database.  What would be the most efficient way to corral them into each group?  I can't lookup for "create date" because the many of the contacts would have been created at some other time (likewise problem with "edit date"), and established ID/Status tags don't appear to get overwritten with a new import.  There are far too many to do it manually, and I take it there is no way to import directly to a group.  What's my move here?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickCC
‎05-02-2017 08:42 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Importing Batches of Previously Established Contacts to Groups

I suggest you create a new field called Import Source. Add a Column in the spreadsheet with a name for the source of the data copy into all lines of data and import.

Once in look this up and then create your group from the lookup.

Now clear the Import Source field (Lookup - Replace - Import Source - Now insert 3 spaces - Replace.

This clears the field for the next import. gain create the new Column.  If the contact is already in the database it should merge but will add the Import Source field with the new information. Repeat process.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

The import and merge provided by the ACT! program are fairly basic. It sounds like you need a really comprehensive import/merge capability. My suggestion would be to checkout the third party program OakMerge.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickCC
‎05-02-2017 08:42 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

I suggest you create a new field called Import Source. Add a Column in the spreadsheet with a name for the source of the data copy into all lines of data and import.

Once in look this up and then create your group from the lookup.

Now clear the Import Source field (Lookup - Replace - Import Source - Now insert 3 spaces - Replace.

This clears the field for the next import. gain create the new Column.  If the contact is already in the database it should merge but will add the Import Source field with the new information. Repeat process.

I did check out OakMerge, but frankly it overwhelmed me a bit.

Meanwhile I did have an idea that was in line with ch1p's thinking, so I'm working with that for now.  Thanks guys!