Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import wizard malfunctioning?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Import wizard malfunctioning?

Every month I import an excel file which contains new employees and about 20 fields associated with each.  As far as I know nothing is changed but now when I use the import wizard it only grabs 7 fields for mapping.  Even if I load old mappings it only shows 7 fields.  Any idea what may have happened?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Import wizard malfunctioning?

[ Edited ]

Wayne,

It looks like the import is bringing in only the first 7 columns, ending after the Company column. I saved the file as a .CSV and then opened it in Notepad to see why it was stopping at that column. Here’s what I found:

If you notice, there is hard return after the Company column. Whenever an import sees this, it is a stop indicator. In order to resolve this, you simply need to delete this carriage return from the column name on your spreadsheet. Just put your cursor right after the “Y” and press Delete on your keyboard. The word Company should move from the top of the cell to the middle. Save the spreadsheet and your import should work fine.

This information can also be found in KB Article 20217.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

I would suggest a problem with the Excel file and maybe save in different format and reimport and you can then eliminate the import routine at least

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I tried it as a csv and it did the same thing.

I also went back to one of the old import files and it now does the same thing---only the first 7 fields.

Hello rwparker,
Try remapping all the fields, saving the new field map, and then running the import. I would also test the new field map on prior spreadsheets as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Well that's part of the issue.  Even with no map the "Map from this field" column only picks up 7 fields.  I can't map it to anything I don't believe if they don't even show up in that column unless I'm missing something.

From Help > About ACT!, what version/build are you using? Also, what version of Excel do you have and what operating system does your computer use?

Greig Hollister

From Help > About ACT!, what version/build are you using? Also, what version of Excel do you have and what operating system does your computer use?

Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 3

Excel 2007

Vista

Please see your Private Messages in the forum.

Greig Hollister

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Wayne,

It looks like the import is bringing in only the first 7 columns, ending after the Company column. I saved the file as a .CSV and then opened it in Notepad to see why it was stopping at that column. Here’s what I found:

If you notice, there is hard return after the Company column. Whenever an import sees this, it is a stop indicator. In order to resolve this, you simply need to delete this carriage return from the column name on your spreadsheet. Just put your cursor right after the “Y” and press Delete on your keyboard. The word Company should move from the top of the cell to the middle. Save the spreadsheet and your import should work fine.

This information can also be found in KB Article 20217.

Greig Hollister