Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import question from new user

Import question from new user

Hey all,

We are new to Sage ACT! Premium 2012.  I need to do some maintenance to the contacts that were imported.  The wrong customer number was brought over and there is another field I would like to add.  I've added the field but would like to fill it from an Excel file I created from our old system.  The file has wrong customer number, correct customer number, contact first name, contact last name, and customer class (the new field).  Can I use the import feature to just update the customer number and load the customer class?  Thought I better ask before doing something possibly bad.

Thanks

Greg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Import question from new user

[ Edited ]

Hello Greg,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Yes, you can use the import function to update your customer records. Just make sure you have enabled duplicate checking and selected a couple of fields to check (i would advise contact name and customer number). Also, if your file has separate columns for first name and last (instead of a single column for the whole name), make sure the column headers are named exactly as "First Name" and "Last Name", so ACT! will automatically map them during the import (you can;t manually map the first name and last name fields). In addition, when doing the import, when you do your contact merge options, select "Replace with source contact" since you have data that needs to be replaced. Be sure to back up your database before importing. Instructions for importing from a text/.csv file are in the following Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2682...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.